Wheat bread is made using 100% whole wheat flour/Atta. The bread is soft and light and definitely not dense. Usually wheat bread is heavy and dense. But this recipe gives you a soft, fluffy and light bread.
Whole wheat bread is healthier when compared with white bread. Freshly baked homemade breads are very tasty and have a wonderful aroma in it. You can add oil or butter in the recipe. But using butter gives more authentic flavor and aroma to the bread.
Either dry active yeast or instant yeast can be used to make bread. Active Dry yeast needs to be proofed before adding it to the flour. Make sure you add only lukewarm water to knead the dough. If the water is too hot or cold, yeast will not get activated and the bread will not rise up properly. Kneading the dough is also very important as it helps to develop gluten into the dough. This helps the dough to rise well.
As a variation, you can add nuts or seeds for extra flavor and taste.
You will also like our other bread recipes here: white bread, instant bread without yeast, multigrain bread, bread pizza, garlic bread.
3 cups/360 grams wheat flour
1 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
2-3 tbsp oil or soft butter
3 tbsp curd
1 tsp salt
Lukewarm water-as needed
- Take a small bowl and add ½ cup lukewarm water. To this add sugar and mix well. Now add active dry yeast and mix. Close the bowl with a lid and keep aside in a warm place for about 10-15 minutes till the yeast gets activated.
- After 10 minutes, you can see bubbles formed on the top surface indicating that yeast is activated.
- If using instant yeast, above step is not required and you can directly add the instant yeast to the flour.
- Take a large bowl. Add wheat flour, salt, activated yeast and curd. You can add nuts or seeds if you like to. Mix well.
- Add lukewarm water slowly little by little and bring the dough together. You may require around 1 ¼ to 1 ½ cup of water and the dough should be sticky. Now add 2 tbsp soft butter or oil and mix so that it incorporates well with the flour.
- Dust a surface lightly with flour and start to knead the dough really well for 10-12 minutes. Kneading the dough properly helps the gluten in the flour to get developed and the bread rises well with nice texture. The dough should be slightly sticky with a smooth texture after kneading it. Do not add extra flour and knead it.
- Once done, shape the dough into a round and place it in a lightly greased large bowl. Cover it with a damp cloth or with a cling wrap and keep aside for 1- 1 ½ hour.
- Now the dough will be double its size. Take it out of the bowl and place it on a floured surface. Punch the dough to release the air and slightly knead for a minute or two.
- Flatten the dough into a rectangle and roll it into a log. Tuck its edges on both the sides.
- Place it in a greased loaf pan (30cm*13cm*6cm). The tucked edges should be at the bottom. Cover the loaf with a wrap or kitchen towel and rest it for another 1- 1 ½ hours till the size doubles.
- Preheat oven at 200 degree celsius for 15 minutes.
- Brush the top of the bread with milk or oil or a mixture of both.
- Now place the loaf pan on a baking tray and place it inside the preheated oven. Bake at 200 degree celsius for 25-30 minutes.
- Once done, take the baked bread out of the oven. Brush the bread top with soft butter. Allow it to cool for some time. De-mould and cool completely before slicing.
- Slice and serve.
- The amount of water used to knead the dough depends on the quality of the wheat flour. Sometimes you may require little more water too. Add accordingly.
- Kneading the dough is very important. Kneading for 10-12 minutes is a must to get soft bread. The dough should be sticky and smooth after kneading.
- Do not knead the dough after the first rise. Punch the dough and slightly knead it.
- Brushing bread top with milk or oil or both helps in getting a nice color to the bread.
- Slice the bread when it is completely cooled say after 2-3 hours.
- Bread stay fresh for 4-5 days at room temperature.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.