White Sardines are called as Veloori in Malayalam, Swadi in Kannada. The fish is a good source of vitamins and contains calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc and sodium. White Sardines are heart healthy as it lowers cholesterol and toxin levels in our body.
You can prepare different varieties of dishes from this fish. Veloori fish fry is prepared by marinating fish in spices and deep fried or shallow fried in hot oil. It is crispy and very tasty which can be prepared quickly. As it has thin bones, you can easily chew them.
½ kg Veloori Fish/White Sardine
2 tsp Red Chili powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp pepper powder
1 tsp lemon juice
Few curry leaves
Oil for frying
- Clean fish several times in running water adding pinch turmeric and salt. Drain water completely.
- Marinate cleaned fish with turmeric, red chilli powder, pepper powder, lemon juice and salt. Keep it aside for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat a pan and add oil for frying. You can either deep fry or shallow fry the fishes.
- Once oil is hot add curry leaves and marinated fish. Fry both the sides till brown and crispy.
- Serve with rice and fish curry.
- Clean the fish several times in water adding salt and pinch turmeric.
- You can either deep fry or shallow fry the fishes.
- You can add tamarind juice instead of lemon juice.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.