Vegetable Biryani is a delicious one pot meal recipe. The biryani is very flavorful with the use of fresh spices and basmati rice. It is very quick and an easy method of preparing biryani as it is done in a pressure cooker.
Traditionally Vegetable Biryani is made in a sealed heavy vessel on a slow cook process called as “dum”. Slow cooking process makes biryani aromatic and brings out the best flavors. To make the whole process easy and simple, Vegetable Biryani can be prepared using a pressure cooker too. The taste is equally good and makes a wonderful meal when you are craving for a biryani.
You can use mixed vegetables of your choice like beans, carrot, peas, potato, paneer, mushroom etc. use long grain rice to enhance the flavor of biryani. You can add curd directly to the sauteed vegetables or can soak veggies in it for some time. Marinating vegetables in curd along with spices gives a tastier biryani.
Vegetable biryani can be served with any raita of your choice.
1 ½ cup basmati rice
For marinating vegetables:
1 cup curd
5-6 beans, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 small capsicum
1 tomato, chopped
¼ cup peas,
1 potato, chopped
5-8 cauliflower florets,
6-8 paneer cubes (opt)
5-6 mushroom, chopped (opt)
1 tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp dhaniya/coriander powder
1 tsp Biryani Masala powder
½ tsp garam masala powder
½ tsp jeera powder
¼ cup mint leaves, chopped
¼ cup coriander leaves, chopped
2 onions, sliced
1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
1 bay leaf
1 stick cinnamon
3 cardamom /elaichi
1 star anise
1 tsp shah jeera
4-5 cashew nuts
1 tsp lemon juice
Salt to taste
- Wash rice 2-3 times in water until clear. Soak it for 30 minutes.
- Also wash all the vegetables and chop them into medium size. You have to soak peas overnight or for at least 2 hours (soak in hot water).
- Take curd in a large bowl and whisk it well. Add red chilli powder, dhaniya/coriander powder, jeera powder, garam masala, chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves and salt. Mix well.
- Add chopped vegetables and mix. Cover the bowl with a lid and keep aside for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat a pressure cooker. Add ghee or oil or both. When hot, add cashew nuts and fry till golden brown. Also add raisins and allow it to pop. Transfer it to a plate.
- Add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, star anise, bay leaf and shah jeera. Add sliced onions and fry till golden brown. add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes.
- Now add marinated vegetables. Saute well for 2-3 minutes.
- Add soaked and drained basmati rice and gently mix with the vegetable masala.
- Add 2.75-3 cups water and bring it to boil. Check for salt and spices. Add if required.
- Also add 1 tsp lemon juice. Close the pressure cooker and reduce the flame to low. Cook for 2 whistles.
- Once done, remove from the stove and let it sit for some time. Once the pressure is released, open the cooker and gently fluff the rice. Transfer it to a serving plate and garnish with fried cashew nuts & raisins.
- Serve hot with onion tomato raita.
- You can use any vegetables of your choice to make veg biryani.
- Instead of curd, marinate vegetables in coconut milk for a different taste.
- Water added to cook rice depends on the quality of basmati rice. See the instructions on the packet before cooking rice.
- Cook Vegetable Biryani on a medium to low flame for 8-10 minutes.
- Long grain rice gives an additional flavor and taste to biryani. However you can use sona masuri rice too.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.