Veg masala toast is a delicious and comfort sandwich recipe which is packed with spicy potato/aloo masala, green chutney and vegetables. Veg masala toast is made tastier by applying butter and green chutney and also by seasoning it with chat masala powder. The toast can be easily prepared at home and can be served as a breakfast or snack. Veg masala toast/aloo toast sandwich is very filling and keeps you full for a longer time.
Applying butter on the bread slices gives a good texture, flavor, taste and crispiness to the toast. So add butter generously on the bread slices. You can also replace butter with olive oil too. Green chutney adds spiciness and flavor to the toast. Adding vegetables like onions, tomato, cucumbers, capsicum, beetroot etc. gives a nice crunch to the toast.
Potato/aloo masala is prepared with boiled & mashed potatoes. It is then seasoned with onions, green chillies, ginger and other spices. Green peas also can be added along with potato. Green chutney can be prepared in prior and can be stored so that you can use as and when required. Make sure to add less water like preparing the chutney, else when you spread it on the bread, it becomes soggy.
3 medium sized potato, boiled & mashed
1/4 cup green peas (opt)
1 big sized onion, finely chopped
2-3 green chillies, chopped
½ inch ginger, chopped
1 tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp jeera/cumin seeds
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 or 2 spring curry leaves
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
1 tsp lemon juice
1 cup mint leaves
1 cup coriander leaves
1 green chilli
½ inch ginger
1 or 2 garlic cloves (opt)
½ tsp lemon juice
6-8 bread slices, white, wheat, multigrain or sandwich bread
1 onion, sliced into rings
1 tomato, sliced into rounds
1 cucumber, sliced into rounds
Butter, at room temperature, as needed
Chat masala powder, as required
- Wash potatoes and cook them using a pressure cooker or a steamer. Once potatoes are cooked well, remove the outer skin and mash it well using a masher. If using green peas cook it as well along with potatoes or separately and mash slightly. Keep aside.
- Heat a kadai and add 2-3 tsp oil. Add mustard seeds, jeera and allow them to splutter. Add curry leaves, chopped ginger, green chillies and sauté well. Add chopped onions and fry till it turns transparent. Add turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Now add mashed potatoes, peas (if using) and mix well. Check for salt and add if required. Cook for about 5 minutes on a low flame and then add chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice. Mix again and switch off the flame. Keep aside the prepared potato filling.
- In a small mixer jar, add cleaned & rinsed mint leaves, coriander leaves, green chillies, ginger, garlic (opt) and lemon juice. Grind it to fine paste using very little water. Add salt to taste and mix well. Transfer green chutney to a bowl and keep aside.
- Arrange all the bread slices on a plate. You can trim the edges of the bread is you want. Now apply butter on one side of the bread slices. Also spread green chutney evenly on the buttered bread slices.
- Place 2 tbsp (or as needed) potato masala on top of the green chutney on one bread slice and spread it evenly. Arrange 1 or 2 slices of onions, tomatoes and cucumber over the aloo masala. Sprinkle little chat masala powder all over the veggies.
- Cover it with another slice of bread with butter and green chutney side facing down. Now apply butter on top of the bread too.
- Preheat an electric sandwich toaster as per the manufacture’s instruction. You can also use a grill, stove top sandwich toaster or even a tawa to toast the sandwiches.
- Place the stuffed sandwich on the preheated toaster and toast it till it turns golden and crisp. While the sandwich is getting toasted, repeat the process with the rest of the bread slices and keep it ready to toast.
- Once the sandwich is toasted well, take it out carefully from the toaster and place it on a plate. Cut the veg masala toast diagonally and if you prefer can spread little butter on it too.
- Serve hot Veg masala toast/Aloo toast for breakfast or snack with tomato ketchup or green chutney.
- Veg masala toast can be prepared with any variety of bread like wheat, white, brown or multigrain.
- Adding green peas along with potato can be skipped if you do not prefer.
- Veggies like beetroot, carrot, and capsicum can be used too. you can also use shredded lettuce leaves along with the veggies.
- You can also skip adding vegetables and can prepare this toast only with potato filling.
- If you have left over green chutney, it can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated and can be used as a spread for chapathi, bread etc.
- Using generous amount of butter makes the toast flavorful, crispier and tasty. You can also substitute butter with olive oil.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.