Tutti frutti is a colorful candied raw papaya pieces which is usually used in cakes, ice creams, puddings, sweet pans, cookies etc. They are small cubed pieces which have a sweet taste with chewy texture and also have artificial color & flavoring in it. Tutti frutti generally comes in attractive colors like red, green and yellow. It is easily available in stores and at the same time can be very easily prepared at home too.
Raw papaya is cut into small cubes. They are blanched and dipped in sugar syrup. Later, they are soaked up in different variety of colors and dried completely for few hours. If you do not wish to use any kind of artificial colors & flavoring, avoid it completely and use it as it is. Also, natural colors like turmeric or beetroot juice or even saffron can be used. Dry tutti frutti completely before you store them for longer shelf life. Refrigerate tutti frutti in an airtight container and it stays good for months.
Along with raw papaya pieces, tutti frutti may also contain other fleshy fruit cubes like cherries, apricots, dried mango etc. You can use these candied pieces in your milk shakes, smoothies, ice creams, cookies, cakes etc. Since they are colorful, kids will cherish having them in their favorite desserts and cakes.
For more sweet & dessert recipes, check: rava laddu, moong dal laddu, kesaribath, gasagase payasam, sago kheer, unniyappam, eggless chocolate cake, eggless honey cake, orange cake, vanilla sponge cake.
1 medium sized raw papaya
2 cups sugar, or as needed
1 tsp vanilla essence
Few drops of yellow, green and red color
- Take raw green papaya and cut the ends. Peel its outer skin using a vegetable peeler or using a sharp knife. Cut the papaya into half and remove the seeds and the inner white skin.
- Wash the papaya several times in water to remove the milky sap and cut into long slices. Chop the papaya slices into small cubes and take them in a bowl. One medium sized raw papaya will give you around 2 cups of papaya pieces.
- Add 4-5 cups of water in a vessel or saucepan. When the water starts to boil, add the chopped raw papaya pieces and cook on a low-medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and let the papaya pieces sit in the hot water for 5 more minutes. Later, drain the water completely and keep aside the blanched papaya pieces.
- In another vessel, add 2 cup sugar and 3 cups water. Bring it to boil till the sugar dissolves. The measurement of sugar should be equal to that of papaya pieces. That is, if you get 2 cups of chopped papaya pieces, take 2 cups of sugar.
- Add blanched papaya pieces to the sugar solution. Stir and cook on a medium flame till the papaya pieces are soft and the sugar syrup turns sticky forming one string consistency. Switch off the flame and take out the vessel from the flame. Add 1 tsp vanilla essence and stir.
- In three different bowls, add few drops/pinch of colors like yellow, green and red. Now, pour out equal amount of papaya pieces into each bowl along with sugar syrup. Mix well and rest it for about 10-12 hours or for a day till the papaya pieces absorbs color & sugar well.
- After resting time, strain the colored papaya pieces (each separately) to remove excess sugar solution. Spread the cubes on a tissue paper or kitchen towel to absorb excess moisture.
- Spread the papaya cubes on a wire net and dry them all separately in open air until it becomes non-sticky & dry. Instead of wire net, you can also use a plate to dry the pieces. In that case, keep turning them often so that all the papaya pieces dry up evenly.
- It may take about 24 hours or more to completely dry the papaya pieces. To check if dried properly, press the dried papaya pieces randomly between your fingers and they should be soft but non-sticky without the syrup oozing out.
- Once done, mix all the colored pieces together and store tutti frutti in an airtight container/glass bottle or in sealed cover. Refrigerate it for longer shelf life.
- Use tutti frutti in desserts, cakes, cookies etc.
- Use fresh raw green papaya.
- Adding colors to the papaya pieces are optional. You can leave it plain or can use natural colors like turmeric, beet juice or saffron.
- Soaking time of sweetened papaya pieces may vary. It may take more than 12 hours and up to 24 hours to properly get colored and sweetened.
- Dry tutti frutti until they are non-sticky.
- Refrigerate tutti fruitti in a glass bottle or a sealed cover for longer shelf life.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.