This post's average rating is: 5
Tomato sambar is a spicy and tangy sambar prepared without dal (lentils). This sambar is an instant recipe which goes well with breakfast like idli, dosa or idiyappam. The sambar is prepared using onions and tomatoes and no tamarind is used here. The recipe does not need a sambar powder too.
This sambar is a good option to make when you do not find any vegetables around. Ripe tomatoes are best for this recipe. As said, this recipe is very easy to make and requires very few ingredients.
Tomatoes are boiled and ground with grated coconut, chilli powder and dhaniya powder. The masala is then mixed with sauteed onions and boiled. You can add ginger or garlic to grind as well. Though this sambar is served with idli/dosa, it goes well with steamed rice as well.
2-3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
¼ cup coconut, grated
1 tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp dhaniya/coriander powder
3-4 garlic cloves
1 onion, sliced
2-3 green chillies
1 tsp mustard seeds
¼ tsp fenugreek/methi seeds
1 spring curry leaves
Coriander leaves, for garnishing
- Wash tomatoes and chop them. Boil water and add chopped tomatoes. Cook till soft on a medium flame.
- Take out the cooked tomatoes and cool a bit. Do not discard the water. Use this water to prepare the sambar.
- In a mixer jar, add grated coconut, cooked tomatoes, garlic cloves, red chilli powder and dhaniya power. Grind to paste adding water as required.
- Heat a kadai and add 2 tbsp oil. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add methi seeds and curry leaves.
- Add sliced onions, green chillies and fry till onions are transparent. Add grinded paste and sauté well for 3-4 minutes on a medium flame.
- Add water as required and salt to taste. Boil it. Once done, add chopped coriander leaves. Transfer the sambar to a serving bowl.
- Adjust spices as per your liking.
- Instead of adding garlic while grinding, you can add ginger too.
- You can add hing for seasoning also.
- You can just mash the tomatoes instead of grinding it as well.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.