Tangdi means legs of chicken without thighs. Tangdi kabab dish is prepared by marinating chicken legs with gram flour, curd and other aromatic spices for hours and then grilled. The grilled chicken is soft, juicy and delicious which is infused with delightful flavors. Tangdi kabab makes a delicious starter which can be served in parties and gatherings.
The flavor of the Tangdi Kabab dish is enhanced by using roasted gram flour. Gram flour along with spices and curd makes the chicken moist and flavorful and gives a smokey flavor to the dish. Marinated chicken has to be kept for 2-3 hours so that the spices and flavors are infused well into the flesh.
The recipe is made in an oven here. However you can do it on a stove also.
4 pieces Chicken Legs
For 1st Marination:
1 tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp pepper powder
½ tsp coriander powder
1 tsp Lemon juice
For 2nd Marination
½ tsp Red chilli powder
3-4 green chillies
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
½ tsp ajwain/carom Seeds
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
2 tsp roasted gram flour* (ref notes)
1 egg white
- Wash and clean chicken legs and squeeze them slightly and then make 2-3 slits randomly.
- First marination: Sprinkle chilli powder, pepper powder, coriander powder, salt and lemon juice. Mix well and keep them aside for 30 minutes.
- Second marination: In another bowl, add 1tbsp oil, ajwain/carom seeds, ginger-garlic paste, slit green chillies and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Now add egg white and roasted gram flour. Mix well using a whisk.
- Apply the paste all over the chicken legs and rest it for 2-3 hours or at least 1 hour.
- Pre heat oven at 200 degree celsius for 20mins. Line a baking tray with aluminum foil or a baking sheet. Place all the chicken legs on the foil/baking sheet.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or till done. Turn the sides of the chicken midway during the process for even cooking and coloring.
- Take it out from oven and leave it for few minutes. Sprinkle chat masala if you like.
- Serve with onion rings, lemon wedges and mint chutney.
Tangdi Kababs on a Stove:
- Heat a pan or grill pan on a high flame. Spread butter or oil over the pan.
- Place the marinated chicken legs on the pan. Cook on high flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Keep the flame on medium and close the lid. Let it cook closed for few minutes.
- Flip the chicken in between the cooking process to ensure even cooking and coloring. Sprinkle oil or butter over the chicken if needed. Cook till done.
- Now take out chicken legs from the pan and cook in direct flame. Rotate the chicken pieces while cooking, but be careful while doing so. This is optional, you can skip it too.
- Sprinkle chat masala (opt).
- Serve Tangdi Kabab hot with mint chutney, onion rings and lemon wedges.
- To roast gram flour: heat a pan and add gram flour. Keep stirring on a low flame for few minutes till you get a nice aroma. This may take around 3-4 mins.
- Making slight cuts on the chicken legs helps to infuse spices into the flesh and also chicken grills into soft and juicy.
- Baking time may vary depending on the oven temperature.
- Turn chicken legs midway during grilling, so that there is even cooking and coloring. You can also apply little butter or red chilli paste (2 tsp chilli powder + 1 tsp oil + 1 tsp vinegar) on the chicken while grilling/baking.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.