Spicy red chutney is a hot and delicious chutney recipe which is a must for all the chats recipes. This spicy red chutney can also be used as a side accompaniment for snacks too.
Red chutney is a must for any chat recipe along with other two chutneys which are green chutney and sweet chutney or dates tamarind chutney. The combination of all these three chutneys makes your chat delicious and lip smacking.
Spicy red chutney or spicy chilli garlic chutney is very simple to prepare at home and you need very few basic ingredients like Kashmiri red chillies, garlic cloves, lemon juice, sugar and salt. Kashmiri red chillies or byadgi chillies gives a bright red color to the chutney and are not spicy too. You can add few spicy variety red chillies too along with Kashmiri red chilies if you wish.
To reduce the spiciness of the chillies, soak them in hot water for few minutes. You can also deseed the red chillies before soaking & grinding them too. Adding lemon juice and sugar balances the spice level of the chutney. While grinding the chutney, do not add more water. Prepare thick chutney and store it. Whenever you are using it for chats, dilute only the required amount of chutney.
Spicy Red chutney /spicy chilli garlic chutney can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated. It stays fresh for few weeks. You can serve this red chutney with snacks like onion pakoda, mirchi bajji, aloo bonda, samosa, etc.
Spicy Red chutney can be used in chat recipes like, bhel puri, sev puri, dahi puri, aloo tikki chat, masala puri, papdi chat etc.
You can check our other chutney recipes like, coconut chutney, coconut red chutney, mint chutney, pudhina chutney, dry garlic chutney, coconut garlic chutney, garlic coconut red chutney, tomato garlic chutney, red chilli garlic chutney, khara chutney.
18-20 dried red chillies, kashmiri/byadgi red chillies
15-18 garlic cloves /lehsun
½ tsp lemon juice
½ tsp sugar
Water, for grinding
Salt, to taste
- Take Kashmiri red chillies or byadgi red chillies in a bowl. Add hot or warm water to the bowl and soak the red chillies for 10-15 minutes.
- You can include few spicy variety red chillies too if you wish. Also deseed the red chillies if you prefer the red chutney to be less spicy.
- Now, drain the water from the red chillies and add them to a mixer jar. Add garlic cloves along with the red chillies and pulse it few times.
- Add little water at times and grind the chutney. Now add lemon juice, sugar and salt to taste. Grind again to fine thick or semi thick paste.
- Transfer the ground spicy red chutney to an airtight container. If you feel the chutney to be spicy still, add little more sugar or lemon juice to balance the spiciness.
- While using this spicy chutney for chats, dilute only the required quantity. Do not add water to the whole chutney.
- Serve Spicy red chutney for chats and as a dip for snack.
- Kashmiri and Byadgi red chillies are less spicy and also gives a bright color to the spicy red chutney.
- You can also add few spicy red chillies if you prefer the chutney to be spicier.
- Soaking & deseeding the red chillies makes the chutney less hot.
- You can add more or less red chillies and garlic to suit your taste.
- Grind the spicy red chutney to a fine thick or semi thick paste. Do not add more water and grind to make the chutney thin & watery.
- Always store this spicy red chutney in an airtight container and refrigerate for longer shelf life.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.