Chilli chicken is a spicy, hot chicken recipe prepared with chicken pieces marinated and tossed in spices and sauces. This is a semi gravy chilli chicken. You can make it dry or gravy as per your preference.
Chilli chicken is a popular indo-chinese dish mainly prepared with boneless chicken pieces. However chicken with bones are also good to make this recipe. Indian spices and Chinese sauce and seasonings makes it hot and delicious chicken recipe. It is a favorite starter of non-veg lovers. You can serve this as a starter or as a side dish for roti/naan or any meal of your choice.
For more chicken recipes check: ginger-garlic chicken, hot & spicy garlic chicken, pepper chicken, onion chicken kabab, ginger chicken, chicken dum gravy, chicken dum biryani, Andhra style chicken fry.
Also check our other non-veg recipes: mutton ghee roast, boiled egg fry, egg biryani, Hyderabadi mutton dum biryani, Andhra mutton fry, mutton salt & pepper, mutton liver pepper fry, mutton seekh kababs, karimeen fish fry, Avoli fish curry, Mathi curry, velluri fish fry, ayla fish fry.
½ kg Chicken, boneless or with bones
1 tbsp pepper powder
2 tsp red chilli powder
2 Onions, chopped
4-5 green chillies
1 inch ginger,
3-4 garlic cloves
½ tbsp red chilli sauce
½ tbsp soy sauce
2-3 tsp tomato sauce
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
3 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
- Wash chicken pieces very well in water several times. Add the cleaned chicken into a bowl.
- To the chicken add, pepper powder, red chilli powder and little salt. Mix well and let it rest for 1-2 hours.
- Heat a pan and add 2 tsp oil. Add chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies. Fry for a while and add chopped onions. Sauté well for 2-3 minutes on a medium flame. Switch off the flame and cool it slightly. Once cooled, grind it to smooth paste. Keep this aside.
- Heat the same pan again and add remaining oil. Add marinated chicken and fry. Cook for 5-8 minutes on a medium flame.
- Now, add grinded paste. Mix to coat well with the chicken. Cover it with a lid and cook again for 8-10 minutes on medium flame. You can add little water and mix. Check for salt and spices. Add if required.
- Once done, add red chilli sauce, soy sauce and tomato sauce. Mix it well. Transfer chilli chicken to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve spicy chilli chicken with onion rings as a starter or as a side dish with your meal.
- Marinate chicken with spices for at least half an hour.
- Adjust spices as per your preference. Chilli chicken has to be hot and spicy.
- Cook on a medium flame for even cooking.
- Add more or less sauces as per your taste.
- Spicy chilli chicken can be served as a side dish for roti/chapathi/naan or with rice too.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.