Mutton kurma is a delicious mutton gravy recipe prepared in south-indian style. This is completely different from mutton korma,which is prepared by marinating mutton in curd and then roasting and grinding nuts and other spices.
Mutton Kurma is very easy to prepare with basic ingredients. It is prepared in an onion, tomato, coconut gravy with other spices. The gravy is flavorful and aromatic with tender mutton pieces well coated with spices and masala.
Mutton kurma is spicy and coconut paste enhances the taste of the gravy. You can prepare this in a pressure cooker and hence can be done very quickly. It can be served along with rice, roti, chapathi, dosa, idli etc.
For more Mutton Recipes check :shahi mutton korma, savaji mutton, mutton curry-kerala style,mutton ghee roast , mutton liver masala curry,Mangalore style mutton sukkah,Hyderabadi mutton dum biryani, nawabi mutton pulav.
½ kg Mutton
1 onion, chopped
1 inch cinnamon /chakke
3 cloves /lavanga
1 cardamom /elaichi
½ inch ginger
5-6 garlic cloves
1 tbsp coriander leaves
2-3 tomatoes, chopped
½ cup coconut, grated
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
½ tsp jeera/cumin powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
¼ tsp kasuri methi, crushed (opt)
¼ cup Oil
- Clean mutton. Wash it very well and cut it into pieces. Drain water completely. Keep aside.
- In a mixer jar, add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, ginger, garlic and coriander leaves. Grind to paste adding little water.
- For tomato paste; grind chopped tomatoes into paste without adding water.
- Also grind grated coconut along with pinch turmeric to fine paste.
- Keep all the ground paste separately.
- Heat a pressure cooker and add ¼ cup oil. Once oil is hot, add chopped or sliced onions and fry till light brown. add grinded masala paste and sauté well for 1-2 minutes on a medium-low flame.
- Add cleaned mutton pieces and mix well with the masala. Cook for 5-6 minutes on medium flame.
- Add tomato paste and sauté. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, dhaniya powder and mix well.
- Add ground coconut paste and mix again. Add salt to taste, garam masala, jeera powder and water as needed.
- Bring it to boil. Check for salt and other spices. Add if required. Close the lid and pressure cook for 4 whistles on a low flame.
- Let the pressure release by itself. Transfer mutton kurma to a serving bowl. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and crushed kasuri methi.
- Serve hot Mutton Kurma with rice, roti, idli, dosa.
- Instead of using coconut paste, you can also use coconut milk.
- Add spices as per your taste and liking.
- Slow cooking makes the mutton soft and juicy.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.