Shavige Uppittu is an easy and a common breakfast recipe of South India. Vermicelli is used all over India in making various recipes, both sweets and savories. The common recipe made from vermicelli is upma and payasam/kheer.
Vermicelli is known by various names across the country such as Shavige in Kannada, Semiya in Tamil and Malayalam, seviyan in Hindi etc.
Shavige Uppittu is prepared by dry roasting vermicelli and seasoning it with spices, in the same manner as we do for rava upma. Vegetables can be added to make it healthier. The recipe is very easy to make and an excellent breakfast or light snack option.
2 cups vermicelli
2 onions, chopped
3-4 green chillies, finely chopped
Small piece ginger, chopped
½ cup vegetables chopped (veggies like carrot, beans, boiled peas etc.) (opt)
¼ cup grated coconut (opt)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp channa dal
½ tsp urad dal
¼ tsp turmeric (opt)
Few curry leaves
Handful of coriander leaves, chopped
Lemon juice from half lemon
2-2 ½ cups water
- Heat a pan/kadai and dry roast vermicelli till golden brown color on a low to medium flame. This may take about 5-8 minutes. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add 2-3 tbsp oil. When oil is hot, add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add channa dal and urad dal and fry till dals turn light brown.
- Add chopped onions, green chillies, curry leaves and ginger. Fry till onions are pink. Also add turmeric.
- Add chopped vegetables like beans, capsicum, boiled peas and carrots. Stir on a medium flame. Close the lid and cook the vegetables for 2-3 minutes. Add 2-2 ½ cups water and boil it. Also add salt to taste.
- When water boils and vegetables are done, add roasted vermicelli keeping the flame on low. Slowly mix and squeeze half a lemon. Cook for a minute or two without closing the lid.
- Now close the lid and cook on a low flame for 5-8 minutes. Once done, garnish with coriander leaves and grated coconut. Gently mix.
- Serve hot.
- Dry roasting vermicelli is very important, else upma becomes mushy.
- If not adding vegetables, or if adding cooked veggies, 2 cups of water is enough for the given measurement.
- You can add tomatoes as well to the recipe.
- Always cook vermicelli on a low flame.
- Adding grated coconut is optional and skip it too.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.