Shahi Mutton Korma is a delicious rich, creamy and mildly spiced gravy prepared with mutton and flavorful spices and nuts. Usually prepared on special occasions, it is very popular non-veg gravy of India. The gravy is rich with an appealing texture.
Shahi Mutton Korma is very easy to prepare and is a best recipe to serve for gathering or for any occasions. Using fresh spices and herbs gives a nice taste and texture to the gravy. You need coconut, nuts curd, onions and fresh spices to prepare this Shahi Mutton korma. They are many variations to the korma recipes. Here is a simple but very delicious lip smacking one. The gravy goes well with roti, any spiced rice or just plain rice.
Check our other Korma Recipe here: veg kurma, chicken kurma, egg kurma, potato kurma.
½ kg Mutton
¼ tsp turmeric
For roasting and grinding:
2 onions, sliced
¼ cup fresh coconut, grated
6-8 cashew nuts/kaju
1 stick cinnamon
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 onion, sliced
2-3 green chillies
1-2 tsp red chilli powder
½-1 tsp dhaniya powder
½ tsp pepper powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
2 tbsp mint leaves, chopped
1 cup curd
Oil, as required
- Wash mutton pieces very well in water until runs clear. Add the cleaned mutton pieces in a pressure cooker along with turmeric and pinch salt. Cook for 2-3 whistles (mutton should be half cooked).
- Heat a pan and dry roast one by one, cashew nuts, almonds and grated coconut for few minutes. Transfer this to a plate.
- To the same pan, add a teaspoon of oil and heat it. Add sliced onions and fry till light brown. Keep aside and let it cool.
- Once cooled, transfer all the fried ingredients to a mixer jar and pulse it for few times. Add little water at this stage and grind to smooth paste.
- In a kadai, add oil and heat it. Add cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Let it pop. Add slit green chillies and sliced onions. Saute well.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till its raw smell goes. Now add red chilli powder, dhaniya powder, garam masala and pepper powder. Fry well.
- Now add cooked mutton pieces (do not add its water). fry well.
- Add ground paste and mix. Cook for few minutes on a low flame till the oil separates.
- Add curd (whisk well, before adding) and mix well. Add salt to taste and water (in which mutton was cooked). Add water as per the consistency required.
- Cover and cook again on a low flame till mutton is cooked well. Also add chopped coriander and mint leaves. Check for spices and salt- add if required at this stage.
- Once the mutton is tenderized, add lemon juice and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot Shahi Mutton Korma with roti/pulav or plain rice.
- Mutton korma can be prepared in pressure cooker also. Follow the same procedure and cook using a pressure cooker.
- You can add potatoes to the korma if you wish.
- Adjust spices as per your taste. Shahi Mutton korma is mildly spiced.
- Use tomatoes and skip curd if you wish.
- Cook shahi mutton korma in low flame only.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.