Semiya payasam is a delicious payasam / kheer recipe prepared with vermicelli, sugar, milk, ghee and fried nuts. This payasam recipe is a very quick and easy to make recipe which can be done within few minutes.
Semiya or Vermicelli is a type of spaghetti which is very popular and instant food product used to make various dishes across the world. Vermicelli is also called as seviyan, Shavige, shamige etc. in other Indian languages. Vermicelli prepared with wheat flour, maida, ragi, millet and rice flour is easily available in the market. You can choose any variety or brand.
Semiya payasam is most popular and common sweet recipe prepared in South-Indian homes during any special occasions. It can also be prepared on festivals and pooja to offer to god as nivedyam. It is one of the simplest payasam recipes which can be prepared by amateurs too and can bring it together within say 15-20 minutes.
Roasting vermicelli is very important to get a non-sticky Semiya in the payasam. If you do not roast it, the semiya will become mushy. You can either dry roast the Semiya or use ghee for the same. Keep the flame on low and roast it till golden. You can skip roasting if using roasted vermicelli.
You can use sugar, condensed milk or even jaggery too for sweetness. Using condensed milk gives more creamy texture to the semiya payasam. But if using milk, use full fat milk to get a creamy semiya payasam. Adding roasted cashew nuts and raisins gives an extra crunch to the semiya payasam. The semiya payasam is flavored with elaichi powder which makes it more rich and tempting.
½ cup semiya/vermicelli
½ cup sugar, or add as needed
3 cups milk, full fat milk
8-10 cashew nuts,
3 cardamom pods, crushed to powder
1 tbsp ghee
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan or kadai and add ghee to it. Once the ghee melts and becomes hot, add cashew nuts and fry them on a low flame till golden.
- Remove the fried cashews to a plate and add raisins to the hot ghee. Fry till it pops up. Transfer raisins to the plate along with cashew nuts. Keep aside for garnishing semiya payasam.
- To the same pan, add semiya and roast it on a low flame till golden. Keep stirring often while roasting semiya for even browning. If using roasted semiya skip this step.
- Once semiya is roasted well, add 3 cups of full fat milk gradually by keeping the flame on low. Mix well slowly. The milk you use has to be boiled before adding it to roasted semiya. Milk can be warm or at room temperature but not too hot or too cold.
- Keep the flame on medium and let semiya cook well in the milk. Keep stirring at intervals so that semiya does not stick at the bottom of the pan.
- You can add more milk to adjust the consistency of the payasam. Semiya payasam thickens as it cools down, so add milk accordingly.
- Once semiya has become soft and cooked, add sugar. You can add more or less sugar to suit your taste. Mix well and let the sugar dissolve completely. Keep the flame on medium and cook for another 2 minutes till the payasam thickens slightly.
- If you like to add jaggery to the payasam instead of sugar, then either grate it or make jaggery syrup and add to semiya which is cooked in the milk. Mix it well and do not boil payasam after adding jaggery as milk will curdle.
- Crush cardamom/elaichi pods using a mortar pestle and add it to the payasam. Mix well. Switch off the flame and add fried cashew nuts and raisins.
- Serve delicious Semiya payasam hot/warm or chilled.
- Roast semiya/vermicelli on a low flame for even browning.
- Roasted semiya is also available in the market. You can use it as well. if using roasted semiya, do not roast it again. Just warm it slightly in ghee and proceed with the recipe.
- Using full fat milk makes the payasam creamy.
- Milk has to be boiled before adding it to roasted semiya. Milk can be hot or at room temperature.
- Adjust sugar to suit your taste.
- Semiya payasam thickens as it cools down. So add more milk as needed. You can add water too.
- If you prefer to serve semiya payasam chilled, let it come to room temperature. Later refrigerate semiya payasam and serve.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.