Schezwan Sauce is a spicy hot chilli sauce made with dried red chillies and garlic. The sauce is used to make various indo-Chinese recipes like fried rice, noodles, Manchurians, momos etc. This can be used as a dip for Fries, Chicken/Veg lollipops, pappad etc.
The Sauce can be easily prepared at home and can be stored for weeks if refrigerated in an air tight container.
25-30 Dried Red Chillies (Byadgi/Kashmiri Chillies)
3 tbsp Garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp Ginger, finely chopped
1 ½ tbsp Vinegar
1 tbsp Soya Sauce
2 tbsp Tomato Sauce
½ tsp Pepper Powder (opt)
3 tbsp Mustard Oil or any other cooking oil
- Soak dried red chillies in hot water for 30 minutes. Drain water completely and grind them to smooth paste. Add water as needed, but do not add more
- Heat a pan and add Mustard oil/any cooking oil. When hot, add chopped garlic and ginger. Fry till garlic turns brown
- Add grinded chilli paste and mix well. Cook closing the lid for few minutes till the oil separates the pan.
- Now add vinegar, pepper powder (opt), soya sauce, tomato sauce and salt. Mix everything well and cook again for few minutes. Add little water to get a Saucy consistency.
- Spicy and Hot Schezwan Sauce is ready to use.
- Using Byadgi chillies gives a nice color to the sauce. If you want the sauce to be more HOT, you can add 5-8 regular spicy variety chillies.
- You can add chopped shallots also and fry in the oil along with garlic and ginger.
- Store it in an airtight container and refrigerate.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.