Schezwan Fried rice is a spicy chilli-garlic flavored rice recipe from Chinese cuisine. It is simple and delicious indo-Chinese recipe made with vegetables, rice and a spicy flavorful Schezwan Sauce. The recipe has bold flavors of garlic and chillies. Garlic is used liberally which gives a pungent and amazing flavor and spiciness to the dish.
Schezwan cuisine uses spices like garlic, ginger, and chilli pepper in excess to make all their dishes. There is one more important spice in the cuisine which is Schezwan pepper. It has a strong fragrant and lemony taste which tingle your palate.
Schezwan fried rice is made by stir frying vegetables and cooked rice in Schezwan sauce. Vegetables like beans, carrot, cabbage, peas and other veggies of your choice can be added. Though Schezwan peppers are used to make this recipe originally, we can replace it with chillies and vinegar along with garlic.
2 cup Basmati Rice
For Schezwan Fried rice
1 carrot, Chopped
1 Capsicum, Chopped
5-8 French beans, Chopped
¼ cup Cabbage, Chopped
¼ cup boiled peas
¼ cup Chopped Spring Onion or 2 medium Onions
1 tbsp garlic, chopped
Small piece ginger, chopped
2-3 tbsp Schezwan Sauce
½ tsp Pepper Powder
1 tsp Vinegar
½ tsp Dark Soya Sauce
Mustard Oil or any Cooking Oil
- Wash rice and soak in enough water for 20-30 minutes.
- Boil 5 cups of water in a vessel adding little salt and a teaspoon of oil. Add soaked and drained basmati rice. Cook on a medium flame till done. Do not overcook and make it mushy. You can cook rice in a pressure cooker as well.
- Drain water from the cooked rice and cool rice completely by spreading it on a plate.
- Heat a pan and add 3 tsp Oil. Add 2-3 broken red chillies, chopped garlic, ginger and onions. Fry them for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped vegetables like carrot, capsicum, beans, boiled peas, cabbage etc. Stir them on a high flame for few minutes say 4-5 minutes. Do not burn the veggies, keep stirring continuously.
- Vegetables should be cooked well but still have crunchiness in them. Keep the flame on medium and add 2-3 tbsp schezwan sauce.
- Stir well and add cooked rice.
- Add vinegar, soya sauce, pepper powder and salt to taste. Schezwan sauce has salt in it, so add accordingly. Mix very gently so that the sauce is well coated with the rice. Garnish with Spring onions.
- Serve hot plain or with mushroom manchurian, paneer manchurian, stir fried tofu or any other side dish of your choice
- Schezwan fried rice can be made with regular rice also.
- Left over rice also can be used to make the recipe.
- Cool the rice completely before adding it to the sauce.
- Schezwan sauce already has salt in it. Add accordingly.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.