Sabakki payasa is a very delicious and simple sweet recipe prepared with sabudana/sago pearls, milk and sugar. Sabakki payasa is usually prepared on festival times and during fasting.
Sabakki is also known as tapioca pearls, sabudana, sagubiyyam, javvarisi, sago etc. They are rich in carbohydrates and hence used to prepare sabudana khichdi, sabudana vada etc., during fasting days as it provides instant energy.
Sabakki payasa is a rich and creamy kheer recipe with tiny pearls cooked in milk, sugar and flavored with cardamom and nuts. This payasam recipe is very easy and quick to prepare. You have to soak sabudana for few hours before starting with the recipe.
½ cup sabakki
4-5 cups milk
½ cup sugar (add more or less)
5-6 cashew nuts
2-3 almonds, sliced (opt)
4-5 saffron strands (opt)
2 tbsp ghee
½ tsp cardamom powder
- Wash sabudana and soak them in water for 2 hours. Sabudana will fluff up and increase its size. Drain them using a colander and rest it for 30 minutes to 1 hour. This makes the sabudana pearls non sticky.
- Boil milk in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add sabudana and cook on a medium flame till soft. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Once sabudana pearls are cooked, add sugar. Let the sugar dissolve.
- Bring the payasam to boil adding saffron strands and cardamom powder.
- Heat a small pan and add ghee to it. Fry cashew nuts, almonds and raisins.
- Add the fried nuts into the payasam and give a mix. Switch off the flame and transfer the payasam to a serving bowl.
- Serve Sabakki Payasa hot or cold.
- If you prefer using nylon variety sago/sabudana pearls (small sized), fry them in ghee for 3-5 minutes on a low-medium flame.
- You can also cook sago in water first and then add it to boiling milk.
- Sabakki Payasa thickens fast. Add water and milk accordingly.
- You can replace sugar with jaggery too.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.