This post's average rating is: 3
Red sauce pasta or pasta in red sauce is a delicious and tasty pasta recipe cooked in an onion-tomato sauce. It is wonderfully tasty as it is made with fresh and juicy tomatoes. Red sauce pasta can be prepared easily at home with very few ingredients.
Select fresh and juicy tomatoes which are bright red in color too. This gives the sauce a good color and taste too. You can prepare the sauce prior and refrigerate to save your time. Along with tomatoes, using red capsicum also enhances the color of the sauce. However it is purely optional.
Red sauce pasta makes a good recipe for breakfast or lunch and can be prepared during any special occasions too. The bright red color of the pasta makes it very tempting and appealing. You can add vegetables of your choice to the pasta as well. Vegetables like mushroom, capsicum etc. goes very well with the recipe.
You will also like our breakfast recipes here: masala dosa, ragi dosa, idiyappam, paal appam, puttu, rice idli, mallige idli, instant oats idli, poha idli, sponge dosa, set dosa, plain dosa, instant rava paddu, rava upma.
For red sauce:
2 onions, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 or 2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp oil
To cook pasta
1 cup spiral pasta /any pasta
Water, as needed
2 tbsp butter or olive oil
3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp red chilli flakes
¼ tsp whole pepper, crushed
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 bay leaf or basil leaves
Cheese, as needed (Opt)
- In a saucepan, add water and allow it to boil. Add oil and pinch salt to the water. When it starts to boil, add pasta and cook till done. It should be almost cooked, but not mushy.
- Using a colander, drain the water completely from the pasta and set aside.
- Heat a pan and add little oil. Add chopped garlic and fry. Add chopped onions and fry till transparent. Add chopped tomatoes and cook till it becomes soft. Add a pinch salt to fasten the process.
- Let the onion-tomato mixture cool down. Grind it to smooth paste using a mixer jar. Add water as required. Transfer the red sauce into a bowl and keep aside.
- Heat a pan and add butter or olive oil. Add bay leaf/basil leaves and crushed garlic and sauté well. Also add onions and fry till light brown in color.
- Now add ground onion-tomato paste and sauté well till it becomes slightly thick. Add red chilli flakes, crushed pepper and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Now add cooked pasta and gently mix it with the sauce. Sprinkle mixed herbs or oregano and toss it well. Transfer the pasta into a serving bowl and garnish with grated cheese (opt).
- Serve hot Red sauce pasta.
- Instead of onions, you can sauté red capsicum and grind it with tomatoes. This makes the sauce more brighter.
- Use any variety of pasta for the recipe.
- Do not overcook pasta and make it mushy. Just cook till done.
- You can use butter or olive oil. If you do not prefer both, use regular cooking oil.
- You can prepare the sauce a day before and refrigerate the same. This helps to save your time.
- Grated cheese adds an extra taste to the pasta, but you can omit it as well.
- Add more or less spices and herbs to suit your taste buds.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.