Rava laddu is a simple and easy traditional sweet recipe prepared during festivals in India. Rava laddu are very popular throughout India and is prepared in every home for almost all occasions, festivals or celebrations. It is one of the easiest sweet which can be prepared within few minutes and also requires very few ingredients. Rava laddu has a wonderful flavor and aroma with a light crunch of roasted nuts.
Rava or sooji or semolina is coarse flour obtained from husked wheat. It is used in preparing many recipes like idli, upma, dosa and sweet recipes. Rava is low in glycemic index and digests slowly, hence good for diabetes and to lose weight. Rava is light on stomach and is loaded with many health benefits. Rava can also be used as coating ingredient to give a crispy texture to foods like fish fry, Pattie, veg fries etc.
Rava laddu or rave unde is prepared with roasted rava, coconut, sugar, ghee and nuts. Rava and coconut has to be roasted well before preparing the laddus. Roasting enhances the flavor and also increases the shelf life of the laddu. Milk can be used to bind the rava coconut mixture so that you can shape the laddus easily. However, adding milk is optional, and can use more ghee too.
1 cup rava /semolina
½ cup coconut, grated
1 cup sugar, powdered
¼ cup ghee
Milk, as needed
4-5 cashew nuts
2-3 almonds, chopped (opt)
- Heat a pan and dry roast rava on a medium-low flame for 3-4 minutes until crisp. Transfer to a bowl and also fry grated coconut for 2 minutes on a low flame. Keep the roasted rava and coconut aside for some time to cool.
- Heat a pan and add ghee. Fry cashew nuts and almonds till light brown and add raisins. Let the raisins pop up. Remove cashew nuts, almonds, raisins from ghee and transfer it to the bowl with roasted rava and coconut. Switch off the flame.
- Now add powdered sugar and elaichi powder to the rava mixture. Mix well with a spoon. Add hot ghee and bring the mixture together.
- You can add few tablespoons of milk to combine everything well. Shape them into round laddu. Place them all in a plate.
- Serve delicious Rava laddu and store remaining laddu in an airtight container. Remains good for about a week at room temperature.
- Roasting rava is very important. Roast rava on a low flame until you get a nice aroma and till it becomes crisp.
- You can use either fresh or dry coconut to prepare rava laddu. If using fresh coconut, roast it well else laddu cannot be stored for more days.
- Sugar quantity can be reduced to 3/4th cup too.
- Add little milk at intervals to bind the rava mixture. Do not add more milk, as it reduce the shelf life of rava laddu.
- If you do not want to use milk to bind the rava mixture, increase the ghee quantity. Heat the ghee and use it to bind.
- Rava laddu can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for few days. You can also refrigerate them.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks