This post's average rating is: 5
Idli is the staple food of south Indian homes. It is an easy and healthy breakfast recipe. Usually idlis are made with urad dal and rice. We have many instant versions of idlis too which is prepared without fermenting. Here is a recipe which uses Bombay rava and urad dal to prepare idli.
Rava is an alternative choice to rice. Here, only urad dal is soaked and ground. Later roasted rava is mixed to the batter and fermented overnight. Roasting or steaming rava is important to get soft idlis.
Rava idli can be prepared on fasting days as rice items are not consumed those days. You can prepare this with either Bombay rava or bansi rava/wheat rava. Serve these idlis with chutney and sambar.
1 cup Urad dal
2 cup Bombay rava/Bansi rava
¼ cup curd (opt)
¼ tsp fenugreek /methi seeds
Water, as needed
- Wash urad dal thoroughly in water and soak it for 4-5 hours. Also soak fenugreek seeds along with urad dal.
- Heat a pan. Add rava and dry roast it for 3-4 minutes on a medium flame till nice aroma comes out.
- Alternately you can steam it as well. For steaming the rava, put the rava on a clean cloth and tie it with a knot. Keep this on a steamer for 10 minutes on a medium flame. remove it and cool completely.
- Cool the roasted or steamed rava completely.
- In a wet-grinder, add urad dal + fenugreek seeds and grind to fine batter. Add water little by little and grind to a soft and fluffy batter. You can use a mixer also to grind the batter. Transfer the ground batter into a large bowl.
- Add the roasted rava into the urad dal batter. Also add curd (opt). Mix everything very well with your hands. Cover it with a lid and keep it in a warm place to ferment overnight or for 8-10hours.
- Next morning, the batter would have fermented well. Add salt and mix again.
- Now add water in a steamer and heat it. Grease idli mould with ghee or oil.
- Pour a ladle of batter into the greased mould and steam it for 10-12 minutes.
- Once done, take it out and let it sit for 2 minutes. Remove idlis with a help of a spoon and transfer it into a serving bowl.
- Serve rava idli hot with coconut chutney or sambar.
- Roasting rava is important. Do not skip it.
- Alternately, you can only ferment the urad dal batter and add the roasted rava in the morning before steaming idlis.
- Prepare rava idli either with Bombay rava or bansi/wheat rava. Both tastes good.
- Urad dal batter has to be ground smooth and fluffy to get soft idlis.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.