This post's average rating is: 5
Ragi dosa is a healthy dosa recipe prepared with ragi flour and urad dal. The dosa is very tasty and a perfect breakfast, lunch or dinner recipe for diabetes and for people who wants to lose weight. Ragi dosa is prepared by fermenting the ground urad dal and ragi flour. It can be served with coconut chutney, chutney powder and or sambar.
Ragi, finger millet or nachni are millet, rich in calcium, fiber, iron, amino acids, and other healthy nutrients. Ragi helps to treat anemia, reduces blood sugar, cholesterol, increases lactation, helps in digestion, and also helps to lose weight. As the millet is low in glycemic index, the food is slowly digested which keeps us full for a longer time and hence reduces the food cravings. As per Ayurveda, ragi is considered as a warm and light food hence it is introduced as one of the first solid foods to babies.
Ragi dosa is prepared by soaking urad dal along with fenugreeks for few hours. It is later ground to soft, fluffy batter. Ragi flour is added to the batter and fermented. The recipe is very simple at the same time healthy too. Ragi dosa batter can be used to prepare paddu and uthappam too. You can also prepare ragi dosa, by just adding ragi flour to the fermented rice dosa batter too.
Include this earthy and nutty flavored millet in your daily diet and keep yourself strong and healthy. You can prepare ragi idli, ragi mudde, ragi puttu, ragi idiyappam and another version of ragi dosa which is instant ragi dosa recipe too for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
1 cup idli dosa rice/salem rice
½ cup urad dal
¼ cup poha/aval/avalakki
1 tsp fenugreek/methi/menthya seeds
2 cup ragi flour
Salt, rock salt
- Wash and rinse urad dal and soak it along with methi seeds in a bowl for 3-4 hours. Rinse well rice and soak it too for 3-4 hours.
- Before you start grinding, soak aval/poha for 30 minutes to 1 hour. If using thin variety of poha, you can directly to grind it with rice.
- Drain water from urad dal and add it to a wet grinder or a mixer jar. Grind it to smooth fluffy batter adding water at intervals little by little.
- Transfer the ground batter to a bowl. To the same grinder/mixer, add drained rice and grind it as well. To the ground rice, add poha/aval, salt and grind together to fine paste adding water as needed. Adding salt while grinding is optional, you can add it after fermentation too.
- Transfer the rice + poha paste to the urad dal batter. Add ragi flour little by little and mix well with your hands or using a ladle. Optionally, you can add little water to ragi flour and make a thick paste. Add this paste to the ground urad dal and rice batter.
- Cover the bowl with a lid and allow the batter to ferment overnight or for 8-10 hours. Keep the batter in a warm place to ferment well.
- After fermentation, the batter would have raised well and doubled in quantity. Using a ladle mix well gently. If the batter is too thick, you can add little water and get the consistency right. The batter should not be too thick or too thin.
- Heat a dosa tawa and grease it well with oil/ghee all over the tawa. If using non-stick tawa, do not add oil. Once the tawa is hot, pour a ladle full of batter on the tawa and spread it evenly in a circular motion.
- Drizzle oil or ghee all over the dosa and cover it with a lid. Cook ragi dosa on a medium flame till the sides turn light brown. Flip ragi dosa the other side and cook it as well.
- Transfer the prepared ragi dosa to a serving plate. Repeat the process with the remaining batter too. Keep the rest of the batter in an airtight container and refrigerate for later use.
- Serve hot healthy Ragi dosa with coconut chutney and Sambar.
- Adding aval/poha is optional, but recommended as it makes ragi dosa soft.
- Keep the batter bowl in a warm place to ferment well.
- Refrigerate the remaining batter in an airtight container.
- You can prepare ragi paddu, ragi uthappam with this batter too.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.