Ragi banana cake is a healthy at the same time delicious cake recipe prepared with ragi flour, wheat flour, banana and jaggery. The cake is soft and fluffy with an amazing flavor of banana and cardamom powder. Ragi banana cake is an eggless cake but still gives a wonderful soft texture to the cake.
Ragi Banana cake is a healthier version of cake as we do not use maida/all-purpose flour and sugar. Jaggery gives a nice color and texture to the ragi banana cake. You can also use organic sugar or coconut sugar instead of jaggery too.
The cake has an aromatic flavor of banana along with cardamom powder, nutmeg and cinnamon. You can add only cardamom powder and skip other spices if you prefer. Ragi banana cake is prepared here by adding oil, but you can also use melted butter if you prefer. Addition of chopped nuts gives a slight crunch to the ragi banana cake and also enhances the taste.
Finger millet is called as ragi or nachni and is one of the nutritious cereals. It is a good source of calcium, vitamins and minerals. Ragi helps to prevent diabetes, detoxifies body, boosts energy, protects heart and also helps to lose weight.
Jaggery is a sweetener which is a good substitute for sugar. It is rich in vitamins, minerals, calcium and antioxidants. Jaggery contains iron which helps to boost the hemoglobin levels in the blood.
Ragi Banana cake is gluten free cake and can be made vegan too by replacing curd with coconut milk or soy milk.
1 cup Ragi/nachni/Finger millet flour
½ cup wheat flour
1 cup jaggery, grated
½ cup oil, any cooking oil or melted butter
½ cup curd/yogurt
3-4 small bananas
1 ¼ tsp baking soda
1 tsp cardamom/elaichi powder
¼ tsp nutmeg powder
¼ tsp cinnamon powder
Few almonds and walnuts, chopped (opt)
- In a sauce pan, add grated jaggery and ¼ cup water. Heat it and keep mixing until jaggery is completely dissolved. Switch off the flame and filter the jaggery syrup to remove impurities. Keep aside to cool. Jaggery should melt completely and we do not want any string consistency.
- Take a bowl and sieve together ragi flour, wheat flour, baking soda and salt. Keep the sieved dry ingredients aside.
- Preheat oven at 180 degree celsius for 10 minutes. Grease an 8 inch rectangular cake tin with oil or butter and dust it with flour. You can use either 7 or 8 inch round, rectangular cake pan or even loaf pan can be used.
- In a bowl, add bananas and mash them well using a masher or a fork. To the mashed bananas, add oil, curd and whisk well until smooth. Add cooled jaggery syrup to the banana mixture and mix well gently.
- Add sieved dry ingredients (flour mixture) to the wet ingredients (banana mixture) little by little and mix gently. Add cardamom powder, nutmeg powder, cinnamon powder and chopped almonds and walnuts. Gently mix everything together to make a smooth cake batter.
- Pour the prepared cake batter to the greased cake tin and tap it few times gently to remove air bubbles if any.
- Place the cake tin into the preheated oven and bake at 180 degree celsius for 30-35 minutes. To check if the cake is done, take the cake tin from the oven and insert a tooth pick into it. If the tooth pick comes out clean, cake is done, else bake the cake for few more minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and rest it for 10 minutes. Later, de-mold the cake and cool completely. Garnish the cake with few sugar sprinklers (opt) and slice the cake as desired.
- Serve Ragi Banana cake with hot tea/coffee or as a snack.
- You can use powdered jaggery too, and prepare the cake.
- Increase the quantity of jaggery if you prefer more sweet in the cake.
- Regular sugar can also be used instead of jaggery too. If you wish to use sugar, go for organic sugar.
- Do not give too much pressure while making the cake batter.
- Nutmeg and cinnamon powders are optional, but gives a nice aroma to the ragi banana cake.
- You can add nuts & dried fruits like cashew nuts, raisins, dates, melon seeds etc. to the cake batter to make it more healthier.
- Slice the cake only after it cools down completely. Store the remaining cake slices in an airtight container. Keeps good for 3-4 days at room temperature.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.