Punjabi Kukkad masala is a popular Punjabi style chicken curry which is delicious and easy to prepare. Kukkad in Punjabi means chicken. The gravy is prepared with chicken, nuts, spices, onions and tomatoes. It is spicy, tangy and a rich gravy which goes well with roti, naan, chapathi or rice.
Chicken is cooked in onion-tomato gravy which is flavored with fresh spices and nut paste. To make it richer, you can add fresh cream too. Here, the chicken is directly added to the gravy and cooked. You can also marinate chicken with spices and deep fry them. Later add it to the gravy. Either way, it taste delicious.
½ kg chicken
1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
1 ½ tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp coriander/dhaniya powder
½ tsp jeera/cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala
¼ tsp turmeric powder
8-10 cashew nuts
4-5 almonds (opt)
Fresh cream (opt)
3 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- Wash chicken thoroughly adding salt and pinch turmeric. Cut them into medium pieces. Drain water completely.
- In a small bowl, add warm water and soak cashew nuts and almonds (opt) for 10-15 minutes. Grind it to paste.
- Chop onions and crush them coarsely using a mixer jar. Do not make a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Also chop tomatoes and grind them to paste. Keep aside.
- Heat a kadai and add 3 tbsp oil. Add crushed onions and sauté on a medium flame for a minute. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till raw smell goes.
- Add tomato paste and sauté again. Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, jeera powder and turmeric. Mix well and sauté till it leaves the sides of the kadai.
- Add cleaned chicken pieces and mix well to coat with the masala. Keep the flame on medium and cook chicken closing the kadai with a lid.
- Once chicken is done, add ground cashew-almond paste and mix. Add water, garam masala and salt to taste. Bring it to boil. Add water as per the consistency you prefer.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and give a quick mix. Switch off the flame and transfer the gravy to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with fresh cream (opt) and coriander leaves.
- Serve Punjabi Kukkad Masala hot with roti, chapathi or rice.
- You can prepare Punjabi kukkad masala by deep frying chicken. Marinate chicken with spices and set aside for some time. Fry it in oil and add to the gravy.
- Adjust spices as per your taste and likings.
- Adding cashew almond paste makes the gravy rich and tasty. You can add only cashew nuts and skip almonds.
- Do not add more water. The masala should be of thick gravy.
- Cook chicken on a medium/low flame.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.