Pudhina chutney or mint chutney is a flavorful south-Indian chutney recipe which can be served with idli, dosa, medu vada, upma and with plain rice too. This chutney is spicy and rich in aroma too as we use fresh pudhina/mint leaves.
Chutney adds incredible flavors to any dish. It is a side dish recipe mainly prepared in South-Indian homes for breakfasts and snacks. Pudhina chutney is one such recipe which is very rich in flavors and aroma. Pudhina chutney makes a perfect accompaniment for your breakfast, khichdi or any meal
Pudhina or mint leaves are cooling and soothing. They are excellent for digestion, weight loss, headache, skin irritations etc. It calms stomach cramps and helps in acidity and flatulence. Drinking a glass of mint tea relieves you from sore throat problem. Applying a paste made with crushed mint and honey on your face, makes the skin glow and youthful too
To prepare pudhina chutney, you need to roast ginger, garlic, green chillies and coconut. Pudhina leaves are added to the roasted ingredients and sautéed for few seconds just to warm the leaves. Switch off the flame after adding it as there is no need to roast pudhina for longer time. Grind all of them together along with little tamarind, rock salt and water to paste.
Seasoning pudhina chutney is optional. Green chillies can be replaced with broken red chillies too. Roasting the ingredients enhances the taste and aroma of the chutney. Tamarind gives a slight tanginess and it also increases the shelf life of pudhina chutney.
For more chutney recipes, check; coconut chutney, red coconut chutney, dates tamarind chutney, ulli chammanthi, peanut chutney, allam pachadi, dry garlic chutney, green chutney, khara chutney, coconut garlic chutney, tomato garlic chutney and more..
2 cup pudhina/mint leaves, tightly packed
2-3 green chillies
½ inch ginger, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves
¼ cup fresh coconut, grated
Rock salt, to taste
1 tsp coconut oil or any cooking oil
Water, for grinding
2 tsp coconut oil or any cooking oil
½ tsp mustard seeds
1 spring curry leaves
1 broken red chilli
- Pluck fresh mint leaves and put them in a bowl. You can include the tender stalks too. Rinse well several times until clear and drain completely using a colander.
- Heat a pan and add 1 tsp coconut oil to it. Once oil is hot, add ginger, garlic and green chillies. On a low-medium flame fry them for a minute.
- Add grated coconut and fry till it becomes crisp. Do not brown the coconut. Now add pudhina leaves and sauté for few seconds till it shrinks. Switch off the flame.
- Let the roasted ingredients cool down for few minutes. Once they are cooled, add them to a mixer jar along with little tamarind and rock salt.
- Grind to slightly coarse paste adding water little at times. Adjust tamarind and salt according to your taste. Transfer the ground chutney to a bowl.
- Heat a small pan and add 2 tsp coconut oil or any cooking oil. Once oil is hot, add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add broken red chillies, and curry leaves. Pour this hot seasoning to pudhina chutney.
- Seasoning is optional. You can just add coconut oil to the ground chutney and mix too.
- Serve pudhina chutney along with idli, dosa, vada etc.
- Use fresh pudhina leaves to prepare the chutney
- Adjust green chillies, tamarind and salt accordingly. Instead of rock salt, you can add regular table salt too
- Green chillies can be replaced with dried red chillies too
- Roasting all the ingredients enhances the taste and flavor of pudhina chutney
- Do not brown the coconut. Roast it till it becomes crisp
- No need to fry pudhina leaves for longer. The leaves needs to shrink and slightly become warm
- Pudhina chutney can be ground to either slightly coarse or fine paste
- Seasoning the chutney is optional. Use coconut oil for more flavorful pudhina chutney
- Pudhina chutney can be stored at room temperature for 2-3 days and for longer shelf life refrigerate it in an airtight container
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.