Pepper chicken is an easy and quick chicken fry recipe which requires minimal ingredients. It is a spicy and hot recipe as we use pepper powder. The aroma and taste of this chicken is very natural and fresh.
Chicken pieces are marinated with curd and crushed pepper and later sautéed with other spices. You can either use crushed whole pepper or pepper powder. This is a dry Pepper chicken recipe which can be served as a starter or as a side dish for roti, chapathi or rice.
For marinating chicken:
½ kg chicken
1 tbsp curd
2 tsp pepper, crushed/powdered
Pinch turmeric powder
5-6 garlic cloves, crushed
1 big onion, chopped or cubed
1 green capsicum, chopped
2-3 green chilli, slit
2 tsp whole pepper, crushed
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp soy sauce (opt)
1 spring curry leaves
3 tbsp oil
- Wash and clean chicken several times in water until clear. Add the cleaned chicken to a bowl.
- To the chicken add, curd, crushed or powdered pepper, salt and turmeric powder. Mix well and let it sit for 1 hour or at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a pan/kadai and add oil. Add crushed garlic and fry for a minute. Add chopped green chillies and onions. Fry till onions turn light brown.
- Now add capsicum, marinated chicken and little salt. Mix well and close the lid. Let it cook on a medium flame for 8-10 minutes or till the chicken is cooked well.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar and crushed pepper. Give it a quick stir. Transfer it to a serving plate and garnish with fried curry leaves.
- Serve hot Pepper Chicken as a starter or with rice/chapathi etc.
- Pepper chicken is very hot as we use crushed pepper. It tastes good that way. But if you want can reduce the quantity of pepper powder.
- Adding vinegar gives slightly a tangy taste. Replace vinegar with lemon juice also.
- Adding soy sauce is optional.
- Pepper chicken can be served as a side dish with any meal.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.