Paneer tikka is a popular and delicious recipe prepared with paneer cubes which is marinated with spices and later grilled on a tawa or tandoor/oven. It makes an alternative dish to chicken tikka for vegetarians. Paneer tikka is a dry version and is served as a starter and goes well with mint chutney. When paneer tikka is served with gravy it is called as paneer tikka masala which is usually served with roti, naan or chapathi.
Paneer cubes, capsicum, onions and tomatoes are marinated with curd and spices and arranged on a skewer and grilled till brown. Traditionally the recipe was made in tandoor/clay ovens. However, you can use an oven or a stove top to prepare this.
For more paneer recipes check: paneer tikka pizza, paneer butter masala, paneer pulav, paneer fried rice, palak paneer, garlic paneer.
For Paneer tikka:
250 grams Paneer
1 capsicum, (green/yellow or red)
1 tomato, (opt)
½ cup thick curd
1 tbsp gram flour (opt)
½ tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp dhaniya/coriander powder
½ tsp garam masala powder
½ tsp jeera powder
1 tsp chat masala powder
½ tsp kasuri methi, crushed
1 tsp lemon juice (opt)
2 tbsp Mustard oil/any cooking oil
- Cut paneer into 1 inch cubes. Cut the onion into half and take out each layer/petals.
- Deseed capsicum and slice into 1 inch cubes. also deseed tomatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- In a bowl, add thick curd and whisk it well. Add gram flour (opt) and spices-red chilli powder, dhaniya powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, jeera powder, ginger garlic paste, chat masala, crushed kasuri methi, lemon juice and salt to taste. Mix spices and curd very well.
- To this add cubed paneer, capsicum, onion and tomatoes. Mix gently to coat well. Add mustard oil and again mix. Cover and keep this aside for 30 minutes. You can refrigerate it too.
- Preheat oven at 220 degree celsius for 10 minutes.
- After marinating, insert the marinated paneer, capsicum, onion and tomato alternately into a skewer.
- Place them on a grill rack and grill it for 7-8 minutes at 220 degree Celsius .
- Turn the skewer and grill the other side for another 7-8 minutes.
- If you want a slight char on the surface of the paneer and veggies, turn on only the upper element of the oven and grill for another 3-4 minutes.
- Once done, remove from oven and transfer to a serving plate. Squeeze lemon juice and sprinkle chat masala all over and serve with onion rings and mint chutney.
Paneer tikka on a tawa:
- Heat a tawa and smear 1 tsp mustard oil on it.
- Place the skewers and cook on a medium flame. Keep turning the skewer mid-way so that it cooks from all the sides.
- When it is golden in color, remove from the tawa and transfer it to a serving plate.
- You can char/brown the paneer and vegetables if you wish. Fry them for little more time on the tawa.
- Squeeze lemon all over the tikka and sprinkle chat masala.
- Serve hot with mint chutney and onions rings.
- Use any cooking oil. Mustard oil gives a unique flavor to the tikka, hence recommended.
- Select paneer, which is fresh and firm.
- Use thick curd. If you do not have thick curd, add the curd to a muslin cloth and tie it. Hang it for 1 hour or more and use it.
- Gram flour is optional. You can prepare paneer tikka without adding it also.
- If you do not have skewers, place the marinated paneer and veggies directly on the hot tawa and cook. If using oven, place them on a lined baking tray and grill it (220 degree Celsius for 15 minutes-turn midway for even cooking).
- Add spices as per your taste.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.