Palak Pulav is a healthy and quick rice recipe made with palak greens. It is very delicious and simple recipe which is made with either chopped palak or palak puree with other mild spices.
Palak called as Spinach in English is a dark green leafy vegetables and one of the healthiest greens which is rich in nutrition. Palak is a good source of iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamins, protein, fiber, zinc etc., and it is low in fat. It also helps in lowering cholesterol and hence should be regularly used in our meals.
Palak pulav here is made in a pressure cooker. Palak greens are pureed adding green chillies and added to the rice with other spices and cooked. The recipe is very simple and easy to make and at the same time healthy too. Long grain rice gives an additional aroma to the pulav but you can make it with regular rice also.
1 cup Basmati Rice or regular rice
2 cup roughly chopped Palak leaves
3-4 green chillies
Small piece of ginger
1 Onion, medium sized
1 bay leaf
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 star anise
½ tsp fennel seeds/Saunf
1 tsp lemon juice
- Wash Basmati rice 2-3 times in water and soak for 20-30 minutes.
- Clean palak greens and wash it several times in running water. Chop then roughly.
- In a mixer jar, add cleaned and chopped palak leaves, green chillies and ginger. Grind to smooth paste adding little water.
- Heat a pressure cooker and add oil/ghee. When oil/ghee is hot, add bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, star anise and fennel seeds. Fry for a minute.Add sliced onions and fry till golden brown. Now add grinded palak paste and keep stirring for 5 minutes on a medium flame. Add salt to taste and add 1 ½ -1 ¾ cup water (ref notes)
- When water is about to boil, add soaked basmati rice. Mix well. Add lemon juice and a teaspoon of ghee.
- Close the lid and cook for 2 whistles. Allow the pressure to release by itself. Open the cooker and carefully fluff up the rice.
- Serve hot with raita/pickle or pappad.
- Palak greens can be blanched and pureed with chillies and ginger.
- Water required to cook rice, depends on the type of long grain rice you use. Follow the instruction on the packet, before you cook basmati rice. If using regular rice, add 1 ½ cup water for 1cup rice or as you cook regularly.
- Palak pulav can be made without pressure cooker too. Use a heavy bottomed vessel and follow the procedure. Close the lid and cook on a medium to low flame till water evaporates.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.