Oralu Chitranna is an authentic rice recipe of Karnataka usually prepared during festivals and special occasions. Traditionally this chitranna was prepared by grinding masalas using ‘oralukallu’ which means grinding stone and hence named as oralu chitranna. The spices where freshly ground in oralu kallu and seasoned with cooked rice.
Oralu chitranna is very aromatic, spicy and tangy rice recipe which can be easily prepared at home. We can use mixer to ground the masala and can prepared it quickly. This is a perfect rice recipe for any special occasions and can be prepared for lunch too.
Also check our Breakfast Recipes like: Mallige idli, masala dosa, poori, idiyappam, puttu, pesarattu dosa, instant rava idli, plain dosa, millet-dal dosa, instant rava dosa, ragi idli, ragi dosa, instant rava paddu.
½ cup coconut, grated
½ tsp jeera/cumin seeds
2-3 green chillies
Coriander leaves, fistful
Tamarind, small lemon sized
1 tsp jaggery
½ tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp channa dal
½ tsp urad dal
2 tbsp peanuts
2 dried red chilli
¼ tsp turmeric powder
2 spring curry leaves
2 tbsp oil
1 cup rice or 2 cups cooked rice
Coriander leaves, for garnishing
- Wash rice until clear. In a pressure cooker, add rice and 2 cups water. You can add a teaspoon of oil or lemon juice to the rice while cooking to make it non-sticky. Cook rice on a medium flame for 2 whistles.
- Let the pressure release by itself. Spread the cooked rice on a plate and cool it completely.
- Rice can be cooked in an open vessel as well. Boil 3 cups water in a vessel and add washed rice along with little oil or lemon juice. Cook till rice is done.
- Drain excess water from the cooked rice using a colander and keep it aside for few minutes. When water is drained completely, spread rice on a plate and cool it.
- In a bowl, add warm water and soak tamarind for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze out the juice and keep this aside.
- In a mixer jar, add grated coconut, jeera, green chillies, coriander leaves, hing, tamarind juice and jaggery. Grind this coarsely without adding water. Do not add water and grind it to smooth paste. Add about 3 tbsp tamarind juice or as required as per your taste.
- Heat a kadai adding 2-3 tbsp oil. Once oil is hot, add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter. Add dried red chilli, curry leaves, channa dal, urad dal and fry till dal turns light brown.
- Add peanuts and fry till crisp. Now add ground masala paste and sauté well for 2 minutes on a medium flame and add salt to taste.
- Now add cooked rice and mix gently with the masala. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve oralu chitranna with coconut chutney, pappad, pickle or raita.
- Rice can be cooked using a pressure cooker or in an open pot. Cook rice till done. Adding lemon juice or oil makes the rice grains non-sticky.
- Let the rice cool completely before mixing it with the masala.
- Do not add water while grinding the spices. The ground masala should be coarse.
- You can use dried red chillies instead of green chillies for grinding.
- Adjust spices and tamarind juice as per your likings.
- The recipe can be prepared with left over rice too.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.