Uthappam are thick, soft dosa which has a topping on it. Toppings can be of onion, tomato, mixed veggies etc. Onion uthappam are soft and fluffy dosa topped with onions. They are very popular in south Indian homes and are prepared as a breakfast recipe. These dosas are filling and healthy too. Uthappam look similar to pizza with different toppings on it.
Uthappam are very easy to prepare and can be made with idli/dosa batter. Uthappam are thicker than dosa. You can try various toppings like tomatoes, carrot, mixed veggies etc. spread the batter on a hot tawa and spread the onion toppings on it. Slightly press it with spatula and cook both the sides. The onions gets well roasted and gives a nice taste to the dosa.
Onion Uthappam can be served with coconut chutney and or sambar.
3 cups dosa rice
1 cup urad dal
¼ cup avalakki/poha/beaten rice
¼ tsp fenugreek/methi seeds
2 cups idli/dosa batter
2 onions, chopped finely
2-3 green chillies, chopped
1 tsp grated ginger
1 spring curry leaves, chopped
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- To prepare the batter: wash and soak rice and methi seeds together and urad dal separately in enough water for 4-5 hours.
- Also soak avalakki/poha/beaten rice separately for 1 hour.
- Drain water from urad dal and grind in a mixer or wet-grinder into smooth paste adding water as required.
- Transfer the urad batter into a large bowl.
- Now grind rice + fenugreek seeds adding water to paste. When this is half done, add avalakki and grind all together to get a smooth batter.
- Transfer the grinded paste to the bowl containing urad dal batter.
- Mix everything well with your hands. Close it with a lid and allow it to ferment in a warm place for 8-10 hours or overnight.
- Next morning, the batter would have raised well. Add salt and mix. Now the batter is ready to make uthappam.
To prepare uthappam:
- In a bowl, add chopped onions, green chillies, grated ginger, curry leaves, coriander leaves and little salt. Mix well.
- Heat a dosa tawa. Smear oil on it and pour a ladle full of batter on the hot tawa and spread slightly into a circle. Do not spread fully.
- Spread the onion mixture on the surface of the dosa. Add oil or ghee on all sides.
- Close it with a lid and allow it to cook on a medium flame. flip the other side and cook.
- Cook both the sides of uthappam till light brown in color.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney and or sambar.
- You can prepare uthappam with left over dosa/idli batter.
- Adding grated coconut along with onion mixture gives an extra taste and flavor to the uthappam.
- Flip and cook both the sides. Roasted onions gives a nice crunch and taste.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.