Neer dosa is a thin, lacy dosa made with rice and coconut. Neer dosa is a popular udupi-Mangalorean recipe which is very simple and easy to prepare. Neer means water in Tulu language. The batter of this dosa is very watery unlike the other dosa batters.
Neer dosa is a quick breakfast recipe made by grinding rice and coconut. The batter requires no fermentation and can be prepared instantly. Neer dosa is very appealing because of its snow white color and thin, lacy texture.
1 cup raw rice
½ cup coconut, grated
- Wash rice 2-3 times and soak in enough clear water for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Drain soaked rice and add it to a mixer jar/grinder. Also add grated coconut.
- Add little water and start grinding. Add water at stages and grind rice and coconut to smooth batter.
- Transfer the ground batter into a bowl. Add water as needed to get a thin flowing batter. Add salt to the batter and mix well.
- Heat a dosa tawa and sprinkle little oil all over the tawa. You can use nonstick tawa too.
- Mix the batter and pour ladle full of batter to the hot tawa. Tilt the tawa in a circular motion and spread the batter all over. Fill the large gaps if any.
- You should see tiny holes formed on the surface when you pour the batter on the hot tawa. This indicates that the batter is at the right consistency. If not add more water.
- Smear a teaspoon of oil over the dosa and cover it with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes on a medium flame.
- Once done, fold the dosa into a triangular shape. Repeat the process with the remaining batter as well.
- Serve hot Neer Dosa with coconut chutney.
- Neer dosa can be prepared only with rice. You can skip coconut.
- Adding coconut makes the neer dosa flavorful and extra soft.
- You can also add 2-3 tbsp of poha/avalakki while grinding rice and coconut.
- Add water at intervals while grinding. If you add more water, the batter will not be smooth.
- Stir the batter each time you prepare dosa.
- Neer dosa batter should be really thin just like buttermilk. Else you cannot get tiny holes in the dosa.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.