Nawabi Mutton pulav is a mughalai recipe which is a quick and an easy meal with delicious flavors in it. Nawabi is an Indian word which refers to people from royal family. Most of their dishes are cooked with nuts, coconut milk, flavorful whole spices and rice.
Nawabi Mutton pulav is a very easy and mild dish, but very rich in its taste and flavor. Using long grain rice and coconut milk makes it more rich and aromatic. This pulav is cooked in a slow cooking process. Of course it takes little longer time to cook but the result is really worth it. It is a wonderful recipe to try.
Nawabi mutton pulav is very mild when compared with other varieties of biryani.
This pulav is slightly on a sweeter side, as coconut milk and nuts are used. There is no hard masalas in the recipe. This makes a perfect dish for any occasions or gatherings. Serve this mouthwatering pulav with any raita or curry of your choice.
Also try our Mutton Gravy & Fry Recipes: mutton ghee roast, mutton masala gravy, savaji mutton, shahi mutton korma, mutton kurma, mutton salt & pepper, Andhra mutton fry, mangalore style mutton sukkha.
To cook mutton:
½ kg Mutton
2 stick cinnamon/chakke
1 star anise
1 strand mace/japathre
4-5 green chilli
1 inch ginger crushed
2-3 garlic cloves crushed
2 cups basmati rice
2-3 onions, sliced
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 cups coconut milk
2 tsp shah jeera
2-3 tbsp pudhina leaves, chopped roughly
6-8 cashew nuts
2 tbsp raisins
- Wash basmati rice 2-3 times, until clear and soak in water for 20-30 minutes. Also wash mutton several times with enough water and cut it into small or medium pieces. Drain water completely and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add cleaned mutton pieces, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, star anise, mace, slit green chilli, crushed ginger & garlic and little salt. mix everything well.
- Cook Mutton on a medium flame for 2-3 whistles. Let the pressure release by itself. Now strain the water from the mutton and keep aside cooked mutton and the mutton stock (water) separately.
- Heat a heavy bottomed vessel. Add ghee or oil or both. Add shah jeera and when it splutters, add sliced onions and fry till brown. Remove 1-2 tbsp of this browned onions and keep aside for garnishing.
- To the remaining fried onions, add ginger garlic paste and fry till its raw smell goes. Add chopped pudhina/mint leaves. Fry well.
- Now add 2 cups coconut milk and 1 ½ cups mutton stock (mutton cooked water). You can add plain water also instead of mutton stock. Mix well.
- When the water starts to boil, add soaked and drained basmati rice. Add cooked mutton pieces and salt to taste. Mix gently. On a high flame, bring this to boil.
- When it starts to boil, cover the vessel with a tight lid and keep the flame on low. Cook for 20-25 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, open the lid and check if the rice is done. You can sprinkle little water all over the rice if it is not done completely.
- Once the rice is cooked well, remove from the flame and rest it for another 10-15 minutes.
- Heat a tadka pan adding ghee. Add cashew nuts, chopped almonds and raisins. Fry till light in color. Transfer it to a plate.
- Now, fluff the rice gently from the vessel and transfer it to a serving bowl. Garnish with fried cashew nuts, almonds, raisins and fried onions.
- Serve hot Nawabi Mutton pulav with any raita or curry of your choice.
- You can use cashew nut/almond paste too to the rice while cooking.
- You may require little more or less water to cook the rice here. It depends on the basmati rice you use. Follow the instruction on the packet before cooking basmati rice.
- You can prepare nawabi mutton pulav in a pressure cooker too. Follow the same procedure as above. Instead of using a vessel, use cooker and cook for 2 whistles on a medium flame.
- Nawabi mutton pulav is very mild and less spicy in taste. You can add 2-3 extra green chillies along with onions
- You can serve this pulav with any raita or spiced curries of your choice.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.