Mysore Mutton Pulav is a delicious one pot meal prepared with rice, mutton and spices. This recipe is made in a pressure cooker and it is mildly spicy. The recipe is different from the usual pulav we prepare with chicken or mutton as it uses a flavorful spice mix and a chilli-garlic-ginger paste. Mutton Pulav is a great alternative for Biryani. You can prepare this easily at home with very less ingredients which are readily available in our kitchen.
Mysore is a beautiful city in Karnataka famous for its cultural heritage, monuments and buildings and has many tourist places to visit. Apart from sightseeing, it offers you many exciting varieties of dishes to relish too like chiroti, Mysore pak, idli, dosa, vada,masala dosa etc.
Mysore style mutton pulav is prepared by grinding the whole spices and also uses coconut milk and a spicy paste. The spice mix powder gives fresh flavor and aroma to the pulav. Also use basmati or jeera rice for additional flavor. However, you can prepare this with sona masuri rice too. Serve the mutton pulav with either cucumber raita or onion raita.
½ kg Mutton
2 cups basmati rice
For spice powder:
2 stick cinnamon/chakke
1 star anise
2 marat moggu
3-4 green chilli
1 inch ginger, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves
2 cups coconut milk
1 onion, sliced
½ tsp garam masala
2 tbsp pudhina/mint leaves
Coriander leaves, for garnishing
Fried cashew nuts (opt)
1 tsp lemon juice
- Wash mutton with enough water several times. Cut into pieces. Also wash and soak rice for 15-20 minutes.
- Spice mix: in a mixer jar, add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, star anise, Marat moggu and grind to fine powder. Transfer this to a bowl.
- Paste: In the same jar, add green chilli, ginger and garlic. Adding little water, grind it to fine paste.
- Heat a pressure cooker and add ghee or oil to it.
- Add sliced onions and fry till light brown. To this add grinded paste and sauté well till the raw smell goes.
- Also add mutton pieces, mint leaves and mix well. Fry on a medium flame for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add spice powder, garam masala and salt to taste. Add soaked and drained rice, 2 cups coconut milk and 2 cups water. Mix well.
- Bring this to boil. Add lemon juice and close the pressure cooker. Cook for 3-4 whistles on a medium flame.
- Once done, remove from the flame and rest it for 10-15 minutes. Let the pressure release completely.
- Fluff the rice gently and transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with fried cashew nuts (opt) and coriander leaves.
- Serve Mysore Mutton Pulav hot with cucumber raita or onion raita.
- Always select fresh and tender mutton.
- Rice and water ratio is 1 cup rice : 2 cup water (water + coconut milk).
- If you do not wish adding coconut milk, replace it with water. but recommended to get a perfect mutton pulav.
- Spices are powdered here and not used as whole.
- You can increase green chillies, if you prefer more spicy.
- You can prepare the pulav using an open pot too. In that case, first cook mutton for 2 whistles and later follow the procedure as above. Close the lid tightly and cook rice and mutton for 20-25 minutes on a low flame.
- Adding fried cashew nuts are optional.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.