Mutton ghee roast is a spicy and delicious mutton recipe prepared with ghee and freshly roasted spices. It is a very tasty recipe which goes well with rice, dosa, chapathi, roti etc. The flavor of ghee in this recipe is amazing and very tempting.
Ghee roast is a popular side dish recipe of Mangalore cuisine and can be prepared with chicken, fish, egg, prawns and mutton. Ghee roast can be prepared with vegetables too. Neer dosa and ghee roast is a popular and most loved combo of Mangalore cuisine. You can also check our chicken ghee roast recipe.
Mutton ghee roast is prepared using fresh spices which are dry roasted and ground to paste. Mutton is cooked in ghee and masala to perfection. The recipe is spicy and very aromatic with slight tanginess in it.
For more Mouthwatering Mutton Recipes, check: Mangalore style mutton sukkha, mutton liver pepper fry,nawabi mutton pulav, Hyderabadi mutton biryani, Andhra mutton fry, kerala style mutton curry, mutton keema fry.
½ kg mutton
1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
½ tsp turmeric powder
Dry roast & grinding:
1 tbsp coriander/dhaniya seeds
½ tbsp pepper corns
2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
¼ tsp methi seeds
5-8 dry red chillies, byadgi or Kashmiri red chillies
8-10 garlic cloves
¼ cup ghee
- Wash Mutton several times in water until clear. Cut mutton into medium pieces. Drain the water completely.
- In a bowl, add cleaned mutton pieces, vinegar, turmeric and salt. mix well and let the marinated mutton rest for 2 hours or refrigerate it overnight.
- Bring the marinated mutton at room temperature. In a pressure cooker, add marinated mutton and cook for 2 whistles on a medium flame. Let the pressure release by itself. Drain cooked mutton and keep aside.
- Heat a pan and dry roast, coriander seeds, jeera, red chillies, pepper corns and methi seeds on a low flame. Transfer the roasted spices to a plate and allow it to cool.
- In a mixer jar, add roasted spices and garlic cloves. Pulse it few times and add little water. Grind the spices to a coarse paste.
- Heat a heavy bottomed kadai and add 3 tbsp ghee. Once ghee is hot, add cooked mutton pieces and fry till mutton turns light brown in color. Let the flame be on medium while frying the mutton. Transfer the fried Mutton into a plate.
- To the same kadai, add remaining ghee. Add grinded spice paste and sauté well for few minutes on a low flame till the masala starts leaving the sides of the kadai.
- Now add fried mutton, salt and very little water. Mix everything well gently.
- Cover the kadai with a lid and cook for 8-10 minutes on a medium flame till mutton is soft and it coats well with the masala. Stir mutton in between. You can sprinkle little water if required.
- Once mutton is cooked well and is coated with masala, transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Serve mutton ghee roast hot.
- Do not replace ghee with oil. Mutton ghee roast tastes good with ghee.
- You can reduce the amount of ghee if you wish.
- Mutton should be cooked on a medium flame with the ground masala. This makes the mutton soft and also infuses well with the masala.
- Adjust spices to suit your taste.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.