Mushroom Pepper gravy is a spicy, easy to make side dish which goes very well with roti, jeera rice, ghee rice, plain rice etc. The gravy is very aromatic, flavorful and mildly spicy. This is restaurant style pepper gravy as cashew paste and fresh cream is used. It is not too spicy as we use cashews, coconut and curd which levels the spiciness of the gravy.
Mushrooms are very good sources of antioxidants, minerals, protein, vitamin C and iron. They are also low in calories. Mushroom has a rich earthy flavor which is healthy and filling. They can replace meat in any recipe.
1 cup Mushroom
¼ cup grated fresh Coconut
5-6 cashew nuts
1 inch cinnamon
4-5 green chilies
2 Onions, Chopped
2 Tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 ½ tsp Pepper powder
¼ cup Milk
2 tsp Curd
Fresh Cream (opt), for garnishing
Little Coriander leaves
½ tsp Turmeric
Water as needed
- Wash Mushrooms several times. Cut them into small pieces.
- Soak cashew nuts in water for 10 minutes.
- Boil water and add cut mushroom with a pinch of turmeric. Cook for few minutes (5-8mins) on a medium flame. Do not overcook. Drain water and cool it. Keep aside.
- Grind in a jar, coconut, cashew nuts, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and green chillies. Add water and make a fine paste.
- Heat a kadai and add oil. Add chopped onions and fry till it turns light brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste. Fry till its raw smell goes. Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric, pepper powder and cook till tomatoes are soft.
- Add grinded paste and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes on a low flame. Also add curd.
- Now add cooked mushrooms, salt and gently mix. Add milk and little water if required as per the consistency you prefer.
- Stir and cook for few more minutes by closing the lid.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and Fresh Cream (opt).
- Serve with rice, rotti or chapathi.
- You can make this gravy without adding cashew nuts also. Cashew nuts gives an extra flavor to the gravy.
- Adjust the spices as per your taste.
- Fresh cream is optional and used only for garnishing.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.