Mushroom pepper fry is a spicy and easy mushroom recipe with a perfect blend of spices. Mushroom pepper fry is a dry fry prepared by sauteing onions, capsicum and mushrooms. It is flavored with black pepper powder and other spices. Mushroom pepper fry can be served as a side dish for roti, chapathi and even with plain rice.
Mushrooms are rich source of protein and it makes a good substitute for meat. They are considered very healthy as it is low in calories & fat, cholesterol-free, low in sodium and are an important source of vitamins and minerals. Mushrooms have an earthy & smoky flavor and can enhance the taste and flavor of the dish.
Mushroom pepper fry is very aromatic and rich in flavors. Fennel seeds, pepper and capsicum enhances the flavor and taste of the recipe. You can skip adding capsicum in this recipe too. Mushroom pepper fry can be served as a side dish with any meal and can also be served as a starter.
250 gm mushroom
1 green and red capsicum, sliced
1 big onion, thinly sliced
1 tomato, chopped (opt)
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
½ tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp coriander /dhaniya powder
¼ tsp garam masala powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp pepper corns
1 tsp fennel seeds/saunf
1 tsp mustard seeds
2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1-2 springs curry leaves
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- In a mixer jar, add pepper corns and fennel seeds and grind it to coarse powder. Keep the ground powder aside.
- Clean mushroom very well in water several times and chop them into halves. Keep aside. You can chop mushrooms into small pieces as well.
- Heat a pan and add 2 tbsp oil. Once oil is hot, add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Add chopped garlic and fry it till brown. Now add sliced onions and curry leaves. Sauté onions on a medium flame till light brown in color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes. Add chopped tomatoes and cook till tomatoes turn mushy. To the cooked tomatoes, add pinch turmeric and salt. Also add red chilli powder, garam masala and coriander powder. Mix well all the spices on a low flame.
- Add sliced capsicum and fry for few seconds. Add mushrooms and sauté well for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground pepper+ fennel powder and salt to taste. Mix well and cover the pan with a lid and cook mushrooms on a medium flame for few minutes till done.
- Once mushrooms are cooked well, sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Serve mushroom pepper fry as a side dish with roti or rice & sambar.
- You can prepare mushroom pepper fry without adding capsicum too.
- You can use either green or red or both variety of capsicum.
- Adding tomatoes is optional. You can skip it and can add lemon juice to the cooked mushrooms.
- Mushroom pepper fry is very spicy. Adjust spices according to your taste.
- Capsicum can be added after mushrooms are ¾ th cooked to retain its crunchiness.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.