Mint pulav is a simple yet flavorful rice recipe prepared with mint leaves. Mint leaves are commonly called as pudhina in Indian language. Mint pulav is a quick one pot meal with very few ingredients required.
Mint or pudhina leaves are used to make chutney for breakfast, sandwiches, chat etc. it is also used in making tea/chai, salads, juices, ice creams and soups too. Mint leaves are not only packed with strong flavors but at the same time healthy too. They boost digestion, immunity and can keep our breath fresh for a long time. Mint is a good appetizer because of its flavor and pleasant aroma. So include mint leaves in your diet in any form and get the best of it.
Mint pulav is very delicious rice recipe which is prepared by grinding mint leaves along with green chillies, ginger, garlic and grated coconut. It is then sautéed and cooked with rice. You can add vegetables like carrot, peas, potato, mushroom etc. to make the pulav healthier. A simple raita or potato kurma goes well with this mint pulav.
1 cup basmati rice or any rice
1 cup mint leaves, loosely packed
2-3 green chillies
Small piece ginger, chopped
2 garlic cloves
¼ cup coconut, grated or chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped (opt)
2 tbsp boiled green peas, (opt)
1 bay leaf/pulav leaf
1 inch cinnamon stick /chakke
3-4 cloves /lavanga
2 cardamom /elaichi
1 star anise
½ tsp saunf
2-3 tbsp oil
1 tsp lemon juice
- Wash rice until clear and soak it for 10-15 minutes. Also wash mint leaves and drain the water completely.
- In a mixer jar, add mint leaves, ginger, garlic, green chillies and grated coconut. Grind it to smooth paste without adding water. keep this aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker and add oil. Once the oil is hot, add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, star anise and saunf. Fry for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions and fry till onions turn pink. Now add grinded paste and fry till its raw smell goes.
- Add chopped carrot and boiled green peas (if adding). Fry for a minute or two on medium flame.
- Add 1.75 cup water and allow it to boil. Also add salt to taste. Once the water boils, add soaked and drained rice. Gently mix and keep the flame on medium.
- Add lemon juice and close the pressure cooker. On a medium flame cook rice for 2 whistles. Switch off the flame and rest it for 10 minutes.
- When the pressure releases, open the lid and gently mix the rice.
- Serve hot Mint pulav with raita of your choice.
- You can use basmati rice, jeera rice or your regular rice to make this pulav.
- Vegetables like carrot, beans, potato, green peas, mushroom, corn, capsicum etc., can be added to this pulav to make it healthier. You can skip adding vegetables too.
- Coriander leaves can be added along with mint and other spices for grinding.
- Adding coconut milk instead of water, makes the pulav more flavorful and tasty.
- Mint pulav can be prepared in an open vessel as well. Follow the same procedure as above. Close the vessel with a tight lid and cook rice until done on a low flame.
- Water quantity added to cook rice depends on the quality/variety of rice you are using. Add as required.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.