Methi pulav is a quick and easy one pot meal recipe cooked with methi leaves along with mild spices. This makes a perfect lunch box recipe. Serve with a simple raita or chutney or pickle.
Methi leaves/Fenugreek leaves are rich in iron content. These leaves are very healthy with a pungent taste. As Methi leaves are highly pungent, it can be sauté in oil to remove the raw smell. Methi leaves helps to lower the cholesterol level and high blood pressure.
Methi pulav makes a healthy rice dish with goodness of methi/fenugreek leaves. The rice is flavorful as it is cooked with mild spices. To make it healthier, replace white rice with brown rice. You can also add green peas or any other vegetables of your choice and prepare this pulav.
Also check our other Rice Recipes here: palak pulav, tomato rice, veg pulav, paneer pulav.
1 cup rice, regular rice/jeera rice or basmati rice
1 cup methi leaves, tightly packed
½ cup grated coconut
1 bay leaf
1 stick cinnamon /chakke
2 cardamoms /elaichi
½ tsp fennel seeds/saunf
5-6 cashew nuts (opt)
1 Onion, sliced
4-5 green chillies
1 tomato, chopped
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp coriander powder
¼ tsp turmeric
½ cup mint leaves/pudhina
½ cup coriander leaves
Ghee & Oil
1 tsp lemon juice
- Wash rice (jeera rice used here) several times in water and soak it for 15-20 minutes.
- In a mixer jar, add grated coconut and grind to fine paste adding little water. Keep aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker and add 1 tbsp ghee and 1 tbsp oil. Add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, fennel seeds/saunf and cashew nuts. Saute till cashew nuts changes its color.
- Add sliced onions, green chillies and fry till translucent. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till its raw aroma goes.
- Now add methi greens, mint leaves and coriander leaves. Saute well on a medium flame.
- Add turmeric and tomatoes. Let the tomatoes cook well.
- Now add grinded coconut paste and mix. Add coriander powder and salt to taste.
- Add soaked and drained rice and mix well so that the rice coats well with the masala.
- Add 2 cups water and let it boil. Check for salt-add if required. Sprinkle lemon juice.
- Close the lid and cook for 2 whistles on a medium flame. Let the pressure release by itself. With a fork, fluff the rice slowly.
- Serve hot with raita/pickle.
- You can use any rice to prepare Methi Pulav. Jeera rice gives a nice aroma and hence recommended.
- Add vegetables of your choice to prepare this pulav.
- You can add coconut milk instead of grinded coconut too.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.