Instant Rava Paddu, A popular south Indian breakfast or snack recipe called as Paddu in Kannada, Paniyaram in Tamil and gundpongalu in Telugu is prepared using a special pan/mold called Appe pan, paddu pan or paniyaram pan. The pan has small cavities in which the batter is poured and steamed. The pan is used to make unniyappam in Kerala.
Paddu is an easy recipe usually prepared with idli/dosa batter. But this is an instant rava paddu recipe which can be prepared with rava and there is no fermentation and grinding required in preparing this.
Rava/sooji is mixed with curd, onions, chillies, coriander leaves and salt. You can also add finely chopped vegetables of your choice to make it healthier. As this is an instant version, you need to add pinch baking soda or eno fruit salt to the batter.
Rava paddu makes a good lunch box recipe for kids as they are small in size and looks very appealing. Rava paddu can be served with coconut chutney.
1 ½ cup Rava/sooji
1 cup curd
1 onion, chopped finely
2-3 green chilli, chopped
½ tsp jeera/cumin seeds
½ inch ginger, chopped or grated
2 tbsp coconut, grated (opt)
¼ cup dill leaves or coriander leaves, chopped
2 springs curry leaves, roughly chopped
¼ tsp baking soda or ½ tsp eno fruit salt
- In a bowl, add curd and whisk well till smooth. To this add rava, chopped onions, green chillies, jeera, ginger, grated coconut, dill leaves or coriander leaves, curry leaves and salt to taste.
- Mix everything well and add little water to make a thick batter. Set aside for 20-30 minutes.
- Now, mix the batter and add water if required. Rava will absorb water and hence add if required. Do not add more water. The consistency of the batter should be that of idli/dosa batter.
- Heat an appam pan and grease it with oil. Add a teaspoon of oil in all the cavities of the pan.
- To the batter, add baking soda or eno and mix. Pour a spoon of batter into the greased molds. Cook closing the pan on a medium-low flame for few minutes until the bottom turns light brown.
- Now flip it to the other side with the help of a spoon. Sprinkle oil on all the paddu. Cook for few more minutes.
- Remove from the pan and transfer it to a plate. Repeat the process with the rest of the batter.
- Serve hot crispy Instant Rava Paddu with coconut chutney.
- The batter should not be too thick or too thin. Rava absorbs water fast, so add water accordingly.
- You can season the batter with oil, mustard seeds and dals if you wish.
- Always cook paddu on a low flame for even browning and proper cooking.
- You can add grated/chopped vegetables like carrot, capsicum, beetroot etc.
- Add baking soda or eno fruit salt, just before cooking. Do not keep the batter for a long time after adding soda/eno.
- Adjust spices as per your taste and likings.
- Paddu tastes great when served hot with spicy chutney.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.