This post's average rating is: 5
Oats idly is a healthy breakfast recipe. They are soft, spongy and really very tasty. As oats are rich in fiber, minerals and Vitamins, including this in our daily diet provides us many health benefits.
There is no soaking, grinding or fermentation required to make the recipe and is very similar to Instant Rava Idli recipe.
Oats idli is prepared using rava and curd. Eno fruit salt or baking soda can be used as a raising agent. Seasoning is optional. Adding vegetables like carrot, peas etc, makes it healthier.
1 cup Oats
½ cup Rava
½ cup Curd
1 tsp Eno fruit Salt or ½ tsp Baking Soda
Water as needed
2 tsp Oil
½ tsp Mustard seeds
½ tsp Urad dal (opt)
½ tsp Channa dal (opt)
2-3 green chilies, finely chopped
1 tsp finely chopped ginger
1 Carrot, grated (opt)
2 tbsp coriander/dhaniya leaves, finely chopped
Few Curry leaves, roughly chopped
- Dry roast Oats for few minutes till they are crisp. Allow it to cool and grind to powder. Also dry roast rava for 2 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add powdered Oats and Rava. Keep it aside.
- In a pan, add 2 tbsp oil. When oil is hot, add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add channa dal and Urad dal. Fry till dals turn light brown in color. Add chopped green chillies, ginger, curry leaves and grated.
- Fry for another minute. Add this to the oats rava mixture.
- Add curd and mix it. Add water as required to get the idly batter consistency. Also add salt to taste and chopped coriander leaves. Mix everything well. Rest it for 15-20 minutes.
- Boil water in a steamer or idli cooker. Grease idli plates with little oil.
- Mix the batter once and if it is too thick, add little water and get the right consistency. Add Eno fruit salt or baking soda and mix it well. After adding Eno or baking soda, do not allow the batter to sit for a long time.
- Pour the batter into the greased idli plates and Steam for 10-12 minutes.
- Once done, allow them to rest for 5 minutes and then de-mould it.
- Serve hot with Coconut Chutney/Sambar.
- You can add any vegetables of your choice to make Oats Rava idly healthier.
- Always add Curd which is sour. If the curd is not sour, add lemon juice.
- After adding Eno or baking soda, do not make the batter to sit for a long. If you are not using the whole batter at once, divide them into two and add Eno or soda.
- Roasting Oats and Rava are very important. Else, the idly becomes sticky or soggy.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.