Instant Cooked Rice Idli, Idli is one of the healthiest breakfast recipes from South-India which is prepared with the fermented batter of rice and urad dal. Idlis are soft, spongy and fluffy steamed cakes usually served with coconut chutney and sambar. As Idli is a steam cooked food, it does not contain fats & calories. So they help to lose weight. Idlis are light on stomach, easy to digest and hence healthy. They are a good source of protein, fiber, carbohydrates and contain iron, calcium, vitamin A etc.
There are many variations to our regular rice idli which are created by making certain changes in the ingredients and method. Ingredients like sooji/rava, idli rava/rice rava, ragi, poha/aval, broken wheat, oats etc. are also used in preparing idli. Curd is used in certain variety of idlis to get a light sour taste. Instant varieties of idlis can also be prepared which requires no soaking & fermenting process.
Almost all south Indian homes prepare rice and sambar for lunch every day. And there are times when the cooked rice is excess and these leftover rice is generally used to prepare delicious recipes like lemon rice, mint rice, oralukallu chitranna, mustard rice (kayi sasive chitranna), sesame rice (ellu anna) etc., which are quick and also consumes very less time of yours. But here is an instant Idli recipe which can be prepared using leftover rice! Sounds interesting isn’t it? Instant idli from cooked rice!! These cooked rice/leftover rice idlis too are soft, spongy, whitish and very fluffy like our regular rice idlis.
Instant Cooked rice idli or leftover rice idlis are instant idli recipe which requires no soaking & fermentation process and can be prepared within few minutes. To prepare these idlis, along with cooked rice, you need curd, poha (aval) and idli rava. Soak all the ingredients for 20 minutes and mash them together using a blender to fine batter. You may need to add water to get the right consistency of the idli batter. The idli batter has to be slightly thick just like our normal rice idli batter. Eno fruit salt or baking soda is added to the batter for quick fermentation. Do not let the batter sit for a longer time after adding eno/soda. Steam the idlis immediately.
Similarly cooked/leftover rice can be used to make instant dosa too. Check cooked rice dosa recipe. Instant cooked rice idli /leftover rice idli can be served with red coconut chutney and tomato sambar.
For more instant & quick Breakfast Recipes, do check: instant rava idli, instant oats idli, instant poha/aval idli, instant cucumber idli (taushe), instant cucumber sweet idli, instant rava onion dosa, instant rava paddu, rava upma, avalakki upma, Semiya upma, cheesy sandwich, garlic cheese toast, veg sandwich.
1 cup cooked rice or leftover rice
2 cups idli rava (rice rava)
½ cup thick poha/aval/avalakki
1 cup curd/yogurt
1 tsp Eno fruit salt or 1/4th tsp baking soda
- Rinse thick poha/aval/avalakki few times until clear and drain all the water completely. In a bowl, add poha along with rice rava and cooked rice.
- Add curd and ½ cup water to the bowl and mix everything well. You can use fresh or slightly sour curd. Cover the bowl with a lid and set aside for 20-30 minutes.
- After the resting time, open the lid and gently mash the soaked ingredients using a ladle. Add them to a mixer grinder and grind to a fine batter.
- You need to add water little by little as required to get the idli batter consistency. Idli batter should be of dropping consistency and not thin or runny.
- Transfer the ground idli batter to a bowl and add salt to taste. Mix well and rest it for 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, add enough water to an idli steamer and grease idli moulds with ghee or oil.
- Bring the water in the steamer to boil. Now to the idli batter add eno fruit salt and gently mix it. You can also use baking soda instead of eno fruit salt. In that case, add ¼ tsp baking soda and 1 tsp lemon juice. Lemon juice helps to activate baking soda and also gives the same effect of eno fruit salt.
- Do not give lot of pressure and beat the batter after adding eno fruit salt or baking soda. Give the idli batter a gentle mix and immediately pour the batter using a ladle into each greased idli moulds.
- Once the water in the idli steamer starts to boil, place the idli plates into the steamer and steam idlis for 12-15 minutes or until done.
- To check if instant cooked rice idli’s are done, insert a tooth pick on the idli and if it comes out clean, idlis are done, else steam for few more minutes.
- Once idlis are done, take the idli plates out of the steamer and rest it for 2-3 minutes. With a greased spoon loosen the sides of the idli and gently remove them from the moulds.
- If the leftover rice is refrigerated, bring it to room temperature before starting preparing Instant cooked rice idli.
- Add water as needed to get the consistency of the idli batter.
- Curd used can be slightly sour or fresh.
- Eno fruit salt or baking soda can be used for instant fermentation.
- Add lemon juice if baking soda is used as it helps the soda to activate.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.