Sandwich is bread filled with vegetables. Any vegetables of your choice can be used to prepare the sandwich and the most commonly used are potato, cucumber, onions, tomato etc. Butter can be spread on the bread slices to make it tastier.
Sandwiches are very popular across the country and are commonly served as breakfast, lunch or as snack. There are many ways in which sandwiches can be prepared. Sliced vegetables are placed in between the bread slices and it can be grilled or toasted on a tawa.
Veg grilled sandwich or Bombay grilled sandwiches are very popular street food not only in Bombay (Mumbai), but all over India. You can use any vegetables of your choice and make the sandwiches healthier. Using green chutney (mint/coriander chutney) and sandwich masala will enhance the taste of the sandwiches.
Sandwiches are healthy and filling too. Smear butter on the bread slices and then the green chutney. Later top it with vegetables, sandwich masala powder and then place it on a griller and grill it till golden brown. Serve veg grilled sandwiches with tomato ketchup or chutney or just plain.
Also check our snack recipes here: aloo tikki burger, tawa pizza, vegetable cheese pizza, paneer tikka pizza, jeera biscuits, tutti fruitti cookies, unniyappam, pazham Pori, aloo bonda, masala vada, medu vada, sago vada, Menasinakayi bajji.
For grilled sandwich:
6-8 slice bread slices, wheat bread or white bread or sandwich bread
1 boiled potato, sliced
1 cucumber, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 tomato, sliced
1 capsicum, sliced (opt)
Butter, as required
Jeera/cumin powder, as required
Sandwich masala or chat masala powder, as required
Black salt or regular salt, as required
For green chutney:
½ cup mint leaves
½ cup coriander leaves
½ inch ginger, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 green chillies, chopped (use as needed)
½ tsp jeera powder
1 tsp lemon juice
Black salt or regular salt, as required
- In a mixer jar, add mint leaves, coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, green chillies, jeera powder, lemon juice and salt to taste. Grind it to fine paste by adding very little water. transfer the chutney to a bowl and keep aside.
- Boil potatoes till cooked. Do not overcook and make them too soft. Peel the skin of potatoes and slice them into rounds.
- Also slice onions, cucumbers and tomatoes into thin round slices. If using capsicum, sliced it as well.
- Take all the bread slices and spread butter, evenly on both the sides. Also spread green chutney on both the sides of the bread.
- Now place the sliced potatoes, onion, cucumber, tomato and capsicum on the bread slices. Sprinkle sandwich masala/chat masala powder, jeera powder and black salt/regular salt as required. Cover it with another slice of bread.
- Preheat an electric griller or a hand griller for few minutes. Place the sandwiches carefully on the grill and close it. Grill the sandwiches for 3-4 minutes or till done until crisp and golden in color.
- Remove the grilled sandwiches carefully from the griller using a wooden spatula. Repeat the process with other breads as well.
- Serve Veg grilled sandwich with tomato ketchup or green chutney.
- To prepare sandwich, you can use either white bread, whole wheat bread or sandwich bread.
- Spread generous amount of butter on both the sides of the bread. Else the bread becomes soggy and cannot hold the chutney and vegetables intact.
- You can use other vegetables like carrot or beetroots too.
- Adjust green chilli as required while preparing green chutney.
- You can make the chutney with either only mint or coriander too.
- Transfer the remaining green chutney in an airtight container and refrigerate for later use.
- Grill the sandwich till it becomes crisp and golden brown in color.
- Veg grilled sandwich/Bombay grilled sandwich tastes good when served hot.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.