This post's average rating is: 5
Gobi manchurian is a popular indo-chinese food which is served as a snack or as a starter. Gobi is cauliflower in English. This manchurian is a spicy, crunchy and delicious dish prepared by deep frying cauliflower florets and then tossed in hot, spicy & sweet sauces. There are two varieties of manchurian –one with gravy and another a dry fry.
Gobi manchurian makes a good starter/snack for any party. Addition of Indian spices makes it more flavorful and delicious. Gobi manchurian goes well also with naan, noodles or fried rice.
Cauliflower/gobi florets are coated in a spiced flour batter and deep fried till crisp. Later the fried florets are tossed in hot and sweet sauces. You can always adjust the spices and sauces as per your preference.
1 cauliflower/gobi, medium sized
1 cup Maida/all-purpose flour
¼ cup corn flour
½ tsp pepper, crushed
½ tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
Pinch turmeric powder
Oil for deep frying
1 onion, chopped finely
1 small capsicum, chopped
2-3 green chillies, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
½ inch ginger, chopped
1 spring onion, chopped
1 tbsp soy sauce
½ tbsp red chilli sauce
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1-2 tsp vinegar
Salt to taste
1-2 tbsp oil
- Chop and separate florets. If you find the florets are too big, cut them with a knife into small pieces.
- Heat water in a pan/vessel. Do not boil it. Add little salt and pinch of turmeric. Now add the cauliflower florets into the hot water. switch off the flame and keep the pan covered for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the florets with the help of a spoon and transfer it to a bowl or a colander. Wash it under running water. Drain and dry the florets with a kitchen towel. Keep aside.
- Take a bowl and add maida and corn flour to it. Also add, turmeric, red chilli powder, ginger garlic paste, crushed pepper, and salt to taste.
- Mix everything well and add water to it to make a thick batter.
- Heat enough oil in a kadai for deep frying.
- Dip each florets into the batter and carefully drop them into the hot oil.
- Fry them on a medium flame until they are golden in color and crisp.
- Transfer the fried gobi florets on a kitchen towel and drain excess oil.
- Heat a pan/kadai. Add 1-2 tbsp oil to it.
- Add chopped onion, green chillies, ginger and garlic. Sauté for a minute. Add capsicum and sauté on a high flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, red chilli sauce, vinegar and tomato sauce. Stir well.
- Now add deep fried gobi florets and toss it well for 2 minutes on a high flame. Add salt if required.
- Transfer it to a serving plate and garnish with spring onions.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup and chilli sauce.
- Adjust the spices as per your taste and preference.
- Gobi manchurian tastes good when served hot. It loses its crunchiness when kept for a long time.
- Also do not keep the deep fried florets for a long time. Mix it with the sauces immediately.
- You can reduce the corn flour to 2 tbsp also. But this may soften the fried florets.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.