This post's average rating is: 5
Ghee rice is simple yet flavorful spiced rice popular among South Indians. Ghee rice makes a delicious one pot meal. It taste good with a simple dal, egg curries, chicken, veg kurma etc. the rice is very aromatic with whole spices in it. It is mildly spicy and can be prepared within few minutes.
You can prepare ghee rice either in a pressure cooker or using a pan. Whole spices, onions, nuts and rice are sautéed in ghee and cooked. Usually ghee rice is prepared for special occasions or festivals.
Ghee rice can be prepared with any variety of rice, but basmati rice or jeera samba rice gives an extra flavor and taste to the rice. There is another version of ghee rice which is popular as ney choru among keralites especially in Malabar region.
1 cup basmati rice
½ tsp jeera
1 bay leaf
1 stick cinnamon
2 elaichi /cardamom
1 star anise
1 tsp black pepper
10-12 cashew nuts
5-6 raisins /dry grapes
1 onion, sliced thinly
2-3 green chillies slit
1 tsp crushed ginger-garlic
2 tbsp coriander leaves
3-4 tbsp ghee
- Wash rice and soak it in enough water for 30 minutes.
- Boil 3-4 cups of water in a vessel and add soaked and drained rice. Cook on a medium flame till done. Drain excess water and cool the rice completely.
- In a kadai or pan, heat ghee. Add cashew nuts and fry till golden. Now add raisins and fry till it pops up. Remove cashew nuts and raisins from ghee and keep aside.
- In a same pan, add whole spices like, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, bay leaf, cardamom, jeera and black pepper. Let the spices splutter.
- Add thinly sliced onions and slit green chillies. Fry on a medium flame till the onions are brown in color.
- Add crushed ginger-garlic and fry for a minute till the raw smell goes. Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Now add cooked rice and mix gently so that the rice grains will not break and it gets coated well with ghee and spices.
- Close with a lid & let steam for 2 minutes on a low flame. Add chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot ghee rice with dal or any spicy curries.
If using a pressure cooker:
- Heat a pressure cooker and add ghee. Add whole spices, cashew nuts and raisins. Saute till light brown.
- Add thinly sliced onions and fry till brown. Add slit green chillies, crushed ginger-garlic and fry.
- Add soaked and drained rice. Mix gently.
- Add 1.75-2 cups* (ref note) water and salt to taste. When it boils, close the lid and cook on a medium flame for 2 whistles.
- Let the pressure release by itself. Fluff the rice gently and add chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.
- You can add boiled peas or any other vegetables if you wish to add.
- Water required to cook basmati rice depends on the quality and the brand. See the instruction on the pack before cooking.
- Saute onions till dark brown in color to get a nice taste.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.