Ela ada is a traditional sweet recipe of kerala prepared with rice flour, jaggery and coconut. Ela Ada is a steamed rice pancakes with a sweet filling of jaggery and coconut. It is one of the most favorite snacks of all Malayalees. Ela/ila in Malayalam means leaf, Vazhayila is banana leaf.
A dough is prepared with rice flour and it is spread on a banana leaf. A sweet filling with jaggery and coconut is placed on the rice flour paste and it is wrapped. Later the rice flour parcels are steamed using an idli steamer or a cooker for few minutes. This sweet dish can be served as an evening snack or as a breakfast too.
Ela ada is a healthy snack as it is steam cooked and also healthy ingredients like rice flour, coconut and jaggery is used in the dish. The flavor and aroma of the banana leaf enhances the taste of Ela ada.
There are many variations to the ela ada which can be prepared with different fillings of your choice. For the filling you can also add few roasted nuts like cashew nuts, raisins or almonds. Cardamom/elaichi powder can be added for a nice aroma. Also finely chopped bananas or tutti fruitti too can be added for a completely different variation.
For more Kerala Recipes, check: Sharkara payasam, pazham pori, unniyappam, Achappam (rose cookies), chakka prathaman, aval payasam, paal appam, idiyappam, rice puttu, kappa Puzhukku, ulli chammanthi, varatharacha sambar, kadala curry, moru curry, ulli sambar, ulli theeyal.
You can also check our Kerala Non-Veg Recipes: chicken chilli roast, Malabar chicken curry, avoli fish curry, velluri fish fry, karimeen fish fry, ayla fish fry, mathi fish curry, kerala style chicken curry, kerala style mutton curry, varatharacha Kozhi curry.
1 cup rice flour
1 tsp ghee or coconut oil (opt)
1 or 2 banana leaves
Water, as needed
1 cup jaggery, grated
1 cup coconut, grated
¼ tsp cardamom/elaichi powder (opt)
- Take in a bowl, rice flour, pinch salt and ½ tsp ghee/coconut oil. Add water little by little to the rice flour and make soft and smooth dough. Do not add more water and make it watery. Cover the dough bowl with a plate and keep aside for 20-30 minutes.
- For the sweet filling, add in a bowl, grated coconut, jaggery and elaichi powder (if using). Mix them well using your hands to combine well. keep aside.
- Cut banana leaves into small rectangular pieces. Heat it slightly on a stove top so that it changes its color and slightly burns from all sides. This is done so that the banana leaf will not tear when folding. Apply ghee or coconut oil all over the leaves and keep aside.
- Take small ball sized rice flour dough and keep it on the greased banana leaf. Spread it gently using your hands to a thin layer.
- Place a tablespoon or as needed the sweet filling of coconut and jaggery on one side of the rice flour paste. Fold the leaf from the other side.
- Boil enough water in an idli steamer. Place all the wrapped rice flour pancakes on a plate and steam cook for 12-15 minutes. Once done, you get a nice aroma from the banana leaf.
- Remove steamed ela ada from the steamer and allow it to cool down slightly. Transfer all of them to a serving bowl.
- Serve Ela Ada as a snack or breakfast.
- You can also use raw rice which can be soaked for few hours and ground to thick paste. this can be used instead of rice flour too.
- Add filling as per your taste. Do not add more, as the filling will ooze out while steaming.
- Ghee or coconut oil enhances the aroma and taste of the Ela Ada.
- Adding ghee or coconut oil to the rice dough is optional. But do not forget to grease the banana leaf with either of them.
- Steamed Ela ada gives a nice aroma of the rice, jaggery, and coconut along with banana leaf.
- Ela Ada stays good for 1 or 2 days at room temperature. You can refrigerate them too. Before consuming bring it to room temperature.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.