Honey cake is a juicy, soft cake which are drenched in sugar syrup. They are very popular in bakeries especially in Iyengar Bakery. These are melt-in mouth cakes soaked in juicy sugar syrup and topped with jam and coconut flakes.
You can bake a simple vanilla sponge cake and make this honey cake. It is very simple to prepare at home and looks very attractive. Though the cake is eggless, it comes out super soft and moist. For topping the cake, you can use any flavored jams.
For vanilla cake:
1 ½ cup or 180 grams Maida/all-purpose flour
3/4th cup /150 grams sugar, powdered
½ cup /125ml oil
1 cup/250ml fresh curd
1 ¼ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ cup water
4tbsp jam (any flavored)
Coconut flakes/desiccated coconut, as needed
- Sieve maida 2-3 times and keep aside.
- Preheat oven at 180 degree Celsius for 10 minutes. Grease a rectangular cake tin (8 inch) with butter/oil and dust it with flour. You can also line it with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, add curd and powdered sugar. Mix well till smooth.
- To this add baking powder and baking soda. Mix and keep it aside for 2-3 minutes until it is frothy.
- Now add oil, vanilla essence and mix again. Add sieved maida little by little and gently fold the mixture.
- The batter should be smooth without any lumps. Do not give lot of pressure to make the cake batter.
- Pour the prepared batter to a greased cake tin and bake it at 180 degree Celsius for 30-35minutes. A skewer inserted into the cake should come out clean.
- Take the baked cake out of oven. Let it cool for 5-10minutes. De-mold and cool the cake completely.
- You can slice a thin layer from the sides and from the top of the cake (if the cake in uneven).
- Honey syrup: in a pan, add sugar and water. Mix well and bring it to boil. Sugar should dissolve completely. Let the sugar syrup cool a bit. When warm, add honey and mix well. Do not cook or add honey to the syrup when it is hot. If you do not like the taste of honey, you can skip it also.
- With the help of a tooth pick or a fork, make several holes on the cake. Now add the lukewarm honey/sugar syrup all over the cake. Let the cake absorb the syrup completely. Keep it aside for 10-15 minutes or longer.
- Now prepare the topping with the jam and sugar. In a pan, add jam, sugar and 2tbsp water. Mix well and heat on a low flame. There should be no lumps in the jam glaze.
- Spread the jam topping on the cake with the help of a spoon or a knife. Spread the topping evenly all over the cake.
- Sprinkle coconut gratings/desiccated coconut on top of the cake. Let the cake rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Slice the honey cake and serve. You can also refrigerate the cake and then serve chilled.
- Bake basic vanilla sponge cake and make honey cake.
- You can add orange juice, pineapple juice etc. for more flavor.
- Adding honey to the sugar syrup can be skipped if you do not like the taste of the honey.
- After syrup is poured on the cake, rest to for some time to soak completely. You can refrigerate it overnight too. This makes the cake juicy and soft.
- Eggless Honey cake can be served chilled too.
- Refrigerate the remaining honey cake slices. It stays fresh up to a week.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.