Eggless Christmas fruit cake is a delicious soft cake prepared with dried fruits, nuts, spices and fruit juice. This cake is made without eggs and alcohol. The aroma and texture of the cake is wonderful and appealing. The cake is rich, moist, light and crumbly.
Christmas fruit cakes are served during Christmas and festival seasons. These cakes are rich in fruits and nuts. Traditionally the cakes are prepared using alcohol. The dried fruits and nuts are soaked in alcohol for months and then baked it. The baked cake is again basted with alcohol and rested for few more days. This provides moisture to the cake and can be preserved longer.
Here is a simpler version of making a fruit cake which is soft, moist, loaded with fruits & nuts, non-alcoholic and eggless. Fruit juice like orange/grapes or apple juice is used to prepare the cake. It makes the cake soft and gives the taste similar to traditional Christmas cake.
1 ½ cup orange/apple juice
¼ cup dates, chopped
¼ cup raisins
¼ cup cranberries, chopped
2 tbsp anjeer, chopped
6-8 dry or glazed cherry, chopped
2 tbsp lemon/orange peel, chopped
2tbsp almonds, chopped
2tbsp cashew nuts, chopped
5-6 walnuts, chopped
¼ cup tutti fruitti
1½ cup Maida/all-purpose flour
½ cup oil or soft butter
1 cup brown sugar/powdered jaggery or regular sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ tsp orange peel, grated
1 cup water
½ tsp cinnamon powder
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp cardamom /elaichi powder
- In a bowl, take orange or apple juice. Add chopped dates, raisins, cranberries, anjeer, cherries and orange/lemon peel. Let it rest for 2-3 hours. You can refrigerate this overnight too.
- Sieve maida, baking powder, baking soda, pinch salt and all spice powders. You can sieve them once or twice. Keep aside.
- In a small bowl, add chopped nuts and tutti fruitti. Sprinkle a teaspoon of flour. Mix and keep this aside.
- Grease a loaf pan (24*10*6) or a 9 inch round cake tin with oil or butter. Dust it with flour. Preheat oven at 180 degree celsius for 10 minutes.
- In a sauce pan add water and heat it. Do not boil it. Take it out of flame and transfer it to a large bowl.
- To this add powdered sugar/jaggery. Also add oil or butter. Whisk it well so that sugar dissolves completely.
- Add sieved dry ingredients and mix both dry and wet ingredients well. Add vanilla essence and grated orange/lemon peel.
- Now squeeze the soaked dry fruits and add to the cake batter. Also add chopped nuts and tutti fruitti and fold the batter gently.
- You can use the orange juice used to soak the dry fruits if the batter is thick. Combine everything well. The batter needs to be soft, smooth and lump free.
- Transfer the cake batter into the loaf or cake mold and tap once or twice gently. Keep it on a baking tray and place it inside the preheated oven.
- Bake at 180 degree Celsius for 35-40 minutes or till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Once cake is baked, take it out of oven and cool for 10 minutes. De-mold the cake and cool it completely on a wire rack.
- Slice and serve Eggless Christmas Fruit Cake.
- Replace maida with wheat flour for healthier version.
- Using brown sugar or jaggery gives a brown color to the cake.
- Keep all the ingredients at room temperature before baking.
- Either oil or butter can be used to prepare the cake. Always use soft butter (butter at room temperature).
- You can also use condensed milk instead of sugar/jaggery. Use 3/4th to 1 cup of condensed milk for the above measurements.
- You can add more or less dry fruits and nuts as per your likings.
- Baking time depends on the oven temperature. The cake may take little more or less time to bake. Keep an eye after 35 minutes.
- Let the cake cool completely before slicing it.
- The cake stays fresh for 4-5 days at room temperature. You can refrigerate remaining slices in an airtight container.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.