This post's average rating is: 4.5
Preparing Biryani is an elaborate procedure and requires lot of time. But here is a quick biryani which can be prepared easily with boiled eggs. This is a flavorful one pot meal which requires basic spices and long grain rice. There are many versions of egg biryani, but this is a quick one which is prepared using a pressure cooker.
Using fresh whole spices and masala makes the biryani flavorful and tasty. You can add vegetables like potatoes, peas or capsicum if you prefer. Preparing biryani with long grain rice gives additional flavor and aroma to the biryani, but you can use any kind of rice to make the recipe and its tastes equally good.
Eggs are the most comfort foods and are an excellent source of protein, minerals and vitamins. You can prepare egg biryani for any occasions/celebrations and a simple onion raita is enough to enjoy this delicious biryani.
1 cup basmati rice
3-4 eggs, boiled
1 onion, sliced
1 tomato, chopped
2-3 green chillies slit
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
½ tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp Biryani powder or garam masala powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
2 tbsp mint leaves, chopped
2 tbsp curd
1 bay leaf
1 stick cinnamon
2 cardamom/ elaichi
1 star anise
½ tsp shahi jeera
Ghee or Oil
- Wash rice 2-3 times and soak it in enough water for 30 minutes.
- Boil eggs adding pinch salt and remove its shells. Make slight slit all over them and keep aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker and add ghee or oil or both. When hot, add 1tsp curd and whole spices-cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, star anise, cardamom and shah jeera.
- Now add sliced onion and green chillies. Fry till onions are light brown. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté till its raw smell goes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till mushy. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and biryani powder. Add chopped coriander and mint leaves.
- Add remaining curd and mix. Also add salt to taste.
- Now add boiled eggs and mix gently to coat with masala.
- Add 1.75- 2 cups cups water*(ref notes) and bring to boil. Check for salt and spices. add if required.
- Now add soaked and drained rice. Mix well.
- Close the lid and cook on a low flame for a whistle only. Immediately take it out of the flame and allow it to release the pressure by its own.
- If cooking in an open pot/pan, cook till almost all the water is absorbed and now close the lid and cook on a low flame for another 5-8 minutes or till done.
- Once done, fluff the rice gently and transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Serve hot with onion raita.
- Use any rice for making egg biryani. Long grain rice gives an extra flavor to the recipe.
- Adding one teaspoon of curd to hot oil before adding spices, gives a good aroma and flavor to the recipe.
- Water required to cook basmati rice depends on its brand and quality. Refer the package instruction before cooking. Here in the recipe, 1.75 cups of water is used for 1 cup basmati rice.
- Add spices as per your preference.
- Always cook rice + eggs here in the recipe on a low flame only.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.