Dum chicken gravy or Dum ka murgh is an authentic Hyderabadi nawabi dish which is rich in flavors and spices. Dum cooking means slow cooking or cooking with steam. Food is placed in a heavy bottomed vessel and sealed tightly and cooked on a slow flame. Dum cooking makes the chicken and gravy tastier.
Chicken is marinated in curd and flavorful spices for hours. It is later mixed with whole spices, nuts and cooked on dum. Dum Chicken Gravy can be prepared for any special occasions/gatherings and it goes well with roti, chapathi or even with rice.
For marinating chicken:
½ kg chicken
½ cup curd
1 tsp jeera powder
½ tsp garam masala
1 tbsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp dhaniya powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
2 tbsp mint leaves, chopped
3-4 tbsp oil
1 bay leaf
1 inch cinnamon /chakke
3 cloves /lavanga
2 cardamom /elaichi
1 onion, sliced
1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
8-10 cashew nuts
2 springs curry leaves
- Clean chicken and cut them into pieces. Wash them adding pinch turmeric and salt. Drain water completely.
- In a bowl, take curd, cleaned chicken, jeera powder, garam masala, dhaniya powder, red chilli powder, chopped coriander & mint leaves, turmeric and salt. Mix everything well and rest it for 2-3 hours.
- Soak cashew nuts in warm water for 10-15 minutes. Grind to smooth paste adding little water.
- Heat a heavy bottomed vessel and add oil. Once oil is hot, add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom.
- Add curry leaves and sliced onions. Fry till onions turn light brown. add ginger garlic paste and fry till its raw smell goes.
- Now add marinated chicken, ground cashew paste and mix to coat well. Add very little water and mix. Keep the flame on low.
- Close the vessel with a tight lid or seal the plate edges with dough. Cook on a low flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Now place the vessel on a hot tawa (iron tawa) and cook for another 15-20 minutes on a low flame only.
- After 20 minutes, switch off the flame and take it out of the stove. Let it sit for another 10 minutes.
- Serve Dum ka Murgh / Dum chicken gravy hot along with roti, chapathi or rice.
- Marinating chicken with curd and spices for longer hours makes chicken tender and juicy.
- You can marinate chicken overnight in the refrigerator too. Bring it to room temperature before cooking.
- Add water as per the consistency you prefer to have the gravy.
- Dum cooking makes chicken soft, tender and juicy with rich flavors.
- Cashew paste makes the gravy rich and tastier. You can however skip it too.
- Keep the flame on low only while cooking chicken.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.