Dates tamarind chutney is a sweet and tangy chutney recipe used for chats, and snacks. This chutney can also be used as a dip for your starters and as a spread for sandwiches, toasts etc. Chutney is nothing but sauce or dip in Indian language.
Dates tamarind chutney is a must for all the chats and hence very popular across the country. This dates tamarind chutney recipe is very easy and quick to prepare. It is prepared with dates, tamarind, and jaggery along with few spice powders. The spice powders balances the sweet and sour in the chutney.
This sweet chutney can be used in recipes like Pani Puri, sev puri, dahi puri, samosa, pakora etc. You can use either seedless dates or dates with seeds. Soak the dates in hot water for few minutes so that it can be ground easily to a paste. Dates can be ground either to a fine paste or a coarse texture. Also soak tamarind and squeeze out the juice before boiling it with jaggery and dates paste.
Spice powders like red chilli powder, jeera/cumin powder, dry ginger powder and chat masala powders are used in a very little quantity, just to balance the sweet & sour taste of the dates tamarind chutney. Usually this sweet chutney is slightly thick, but can be made thin too as per your choice.
There is another version of this sweet chutney recipe sweet tamarind chutney, where dates are not used and is prepared only with tamarind & jaggery with the addition of spice powders. It has a smooth and thinner consistency compared to dates tamarind chutney.
For more chutney recipes, do check: coconut chutney, red coconut chutney, mint chutney, green chutney (for chats), spicy red chutney (for chats), pudhina chutney, peanut chutney, red chilli garlic chutney, khara chutney, tomato garlic chutney, coconut garlic chutney, garlic coconut red chutney, dry garlic chutney.
1 cup dates/ khajur, tightly packed
½ cup tamarind, tightly packed
½ cup jaggery, grated
½ tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp cumin/jeera powder
¼ tsp dry ginger powder (opt)
¼ tsp chat masala powder (opt)
Water, as needed
¼ tsp salt or to taste
- Soak tamarind in hot water for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze out the juice and discard the seeds and fiber. Keep aside.
- Grate jaggery and add it to a bowl. To the grated jaggery add little water and dissolve it. Filter to remove impurities from the jaggery.
- Now, deseed dates and chop them finely. Soak the dates in hot water for 10 minutes or more till it becomes soft. ground the soaked dates coarsely or to a fine paste whichever way you prefer.
- Heat a pan adding tamarind juice, dates paste and jaggery syrup. Mix well and bring it to boil on a low flame. Stir occasionally.
- The mixture will thicken slightly and becomes like a thick sauce. You can add more jaggery if you like the chutney to be on a more sweeter side.
- Now add salt, red chilli powder, cumin/jeera powder, chat masala powder (opt) and dry ginger powder. Mix well and simmer again for 2-3 minutes. you can add little more water at this stage if you want the chutney to be thinner.
- Switch off the flame and let the chutney cool down completely. You can also strain this chutney to remove residue. Store the chutney in an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Use dates tamarind chutney for chats, snacks and as a spread for your sandwiches.
- Cool the sweet chutney completely before refrigerating.
- If you like this chutney to be smooth & thin, grind dates to a fine paste and add little more water. boil well.
- Keep the flame on low or medium while preparing the sweet chutney.
- Dates tamarind chutney is thick and hence when using for chats, you need to add little water to dilute it.
- Do not add water to the entire chutney. take the required chutney in a bowl and dilute it.
- Dates tamarind chutney can be used for up to a month if refrigerated well in an airtight container.
- Jaggery can be replaced with brown sugar or white sugar too.
- Add spices more or less to suit your taste buds.
- Black salt can be added instead of normal salt.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.