This post's average rating is: 5
Dahi Methi Murgh, a delicious chicken cooked with curd and methi leaves. Dahi means curd and methi means fenugreek in Hindi language. It is aromatic chicken gravy loaded with flavors of methi and spices.
Chicken is marinated in curd and crushed kasuri methi for hours. This tenderizes chicken and makes it soft and juicy. Spices are added and later cooked to get this wonderful flavored dahi methi murgh curry.
Dahi methi murgh is an easy recipe with basic ingredients. Here both kasuri methi and fresh methi leaves are used. Kasuri methi is used in little quantity to marinate chicken only. Dahi methi murgh goes well with roti/chapathi or rice.
For marinating chicken:
½ kg chicken
1 cup curd
1 tsp Kasuri methi, crushed
½ tsp ginger garlic paste
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 sticks cinnamon/chakke
2 cardamoms /elaichi
1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
2 onions, chopped
4-5 green chillies, chopped
1 inch ginger, chopped
5-6 garlic cloves
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 cup fresh methi leaves, chopped
- Wash chicken several times and cut into pieces. Add cleaned chicken to a large bowl.
- Add to the chicken, curd, crushed kasuri methi, ginger garlic paste, turmeric and salt. Mix well and rest it for 3-4 hours or overnight in a refrigerator.
- In a mixer jar, add chopped onions, ginger, garlic and green chillies. Grind it to paste adding little water. keep this aside.
- Heat a kadai or pan. Add 3-4 tbsp oil. Add cumin/jeera seeds and let it splutter. Add cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Add chopped fenugreek leaves and saute till it shrinks.
- Add grinded paste and fry till the raw smell goes. Now add marinated chicken, salt and mix everything well.
- Close the pan with a lid and cook for 15-20 minutes on a low flame. Add water as required to get the consistency you like. Stir in between and add garam masala powder.
- Once done, transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Serve Dahi Methi Murgh with roti/chapathi or hot rice.
- Instead of fresh methi leaves, use kasuri methi too. In that case use 2-3tbsp of kasuri methi altogether.
- You can add red chilli powder instead of green chillies.
- Cook chicken on a low flame. This makes the chicken juicy and soft.
- Add water as per the consistency you prefer.
- Add more or less spices and salt.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.