This post's average rating is: 5
“Taushe” in Konkani means cucumber and “god” means jaggery or sweet. Taushe god idli is an authentic Mangalorean-Konkani dish prepared from grated cucumber, rice rava, grated coconut and jaggery. These idlis are very soft and mildly sweet and are served with ghee or butter.
Taushe idli are prepared with turmeric leaves or banana leaf traditionally. This adds a unique and distinct flavor to the idlis and hence tastes heavenly.
Cucumber sweet idlis are prepared instantly and does not require any fermentation. There is another savory version of making these idli which is seasoned with spices. Taushe idli makes a good breakfast option which is light and filling and healthy too.
1 cup grated cucumber
1 cup rice rava
½ cup grated coconut
¼ cup jaggery, powdered
- Wash cucumbers and grate it along with its skin. If you do not like it with skin, peel it off.
- In a large bowl, take grated cucumbers, rice rava, grated coconut and powdered jaggery. Mix everything well and keep aside for 30-45 minutes.
- The rice rava will absorb all the water from cucumber and hence you get the right consistency. Do not add any extra water.
- If you prefer having more sweet in idlis, increase the quantity of the jaggery.
- Add enough water in a steamer or idli cooker and heat it. Grease idli molds with ghee.
- Add the batter into the idli molds and steam it for 15-18 minutes till done.
- Once idlis are done, take it out from the steamer and rest it for 2-3 minutes. De-mold the idlis.
- Serve hot with ghee or butter.
- Increase or decrease the quantity of jaggery as per your preference.
- Cucumber Idlis will take little longer time to cook than regular rice idli.
- You can add pinch cardamom powder to the cucumber idli batter to get a nice flavor.
- Serve hot with ghee and grated coconut or butter.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.